oil cooler/heat exchanger???

swuchase1

Reaction score
My truck runs hot when going up long grades. I have the stock temp gauge and a piller mounted isspro. it starts getting hot then pegs stock gauge isspro max temp is 240 it pegs it also. I stop open hood no steam heat gun says 215-230 3-4 min gauge Drops back to normal fast (as if i turned off the key). I have replaced rad, water pump,thermosat (from ford) coolant is new heater core is new fan clutch is new (hadyen) that never comes on locks up but i dont think it should be that warm.I have been reading about the spring fix (thanks TYPE4) and am going to try that this weekend. I am wondering if the oil cooler /water area has stuff in it could this be my problem. i dont know anything about the THING.So i come to the IDI GODS and ask for help :hail thanks for the help

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Does your ISSPRO gauge kinda bounce around every now and then? I know with my gauges, if there is any loose wiring, if you hit a bump it will throw the gauge off (I've seen my gauge peg, reach my hand under the dash, wiggle some wires, and it will drop back to normal.

That said, the overheat light comes on at 242*. Can you hear the fan kick in?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple things... first, tell us how your Isspro gauge is wired. Did you tie it into it's own sensor in it's own water jacket port, and if so where. If you tied it into the factory temp sender, then what you said makes sense. The overtemp switch will peg the factory gauge, and your Isspro gauge also if they are on the same circuit. Secondly... your obviously running pretty hot. You want to back out of it before you hit that 240 mark, because once your gauges peg your blind, and that 240 is pretty much the end of the line for trying to keep that engine. Water temps will climb not only because of the engine working hard, but also because EGT's can be out of control, and the piston cooling jets are putting tons of heat into the oil, which is in turn dumping it into the coolant. What kind of EGT's are you seeing?

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
ok so in regard to the additional heat put into the oil, shouldnt adding an aux oil cooler kinda be a standard upgrade for u to do? i know towing my camper and big gooeneck im standing on 230 degree ALOT of the time.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should be hearing the fan come on like a B17 at full throttle when pushing 240deg.
also, I remember your truck has a few items in the front blocking airflow.
the oil to water cooler is not where your problems is at. I'd be looking closer at the fan clutch and maybe even a alu radiator to help shed the heat quicker.

swuchase1

Reaction score
Does your ISSPRO gauge kinda bounce around every now and then? I know with my gauges, if there is any loose wiring, if you hit a bump it will throw the gauge off (I've seen my gauge peg, reach my hand under the dash, wiggle some wires, and it will drop back to normal.

That said, the overheat light comes on at 242*. Can you hear the fan kick in?

Gauge stays steady and smoth ISSPRO stock one will peg then drop 2 min after stopping...

no I cant hear the an come on

swuchase1

Reaction score
Couple things... first, tell us how your Isspro gauge is wired. Did you tie it into it's own sensor in it's own water jacket port, and if so where. If you tied it into the factory temp sender, then what you said makes sense. The overtemp switch will peg the factory gauge, and your Isspro gauge also if they are on the same circuit. Secondly... your obviously running pretty hot. You want to back out of it before you hit that 240 mark, because once your gauges peg your blind, and that 240 is pretty much the end of the line for trying to keep that engine. Water temps will climb not only because of the engine working hard, but also because EGT's can be out of control, and the piston cooling jets are putting tons of heat into the oil, which is in turn dumping it into the coolant. What kind of EGT's are you seeing?

senders are in there on ports stock is in the head left side stock is in top of water pump EGT around 10-11

gatorman21218

Reaction score
A really hot transmission can make an engine run hotter. All the heat that comes off the trans cooler can be absorbed by the radiator. Thats my thought when you mentioned long grades.

swuchase1

Reaction score
you should be hearing the fan come on like a B17 at full throttle when pushing 240deg.
also, I remember your truck has a few items in the front blocking airflow.
the oil to water cooler is not where your problems is at. I'd be looking closer at the fan clutch and maybe even a alu radiator to help shed the heat quicker.

I do have of road lights up front they are about a foot in frount fo grill and my skid plate is cut out with 3x6 slots or air way better than the stock bumper was

swuchase1

Reaction score
A really hot transmission can make an engine run hotter. All the heat that comes off the trans cooler can be absorbed by the radiator. Thats my thought when you mentioned long grades.

my trans cooler fan blows up at the rad it get about 180 top 160-5 bottom on the heat gun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online