oil cooler and crappy ford parts

st6psycho

Reaction score
early 99 oil cooler leaking... got it off.. didnt have to lift engine i donno y everyone says that u have too... any tips im doing just fine and im deff not new to fixing things. just replaced a clutch master and slave cylinder that was a yr old it was a ford factory part anyone else have problem with ford parts lol

st6psycho

Reaction score
thats just a starter note.. lol either bad pushrods or injectors do to heavy white smoke.. maybe injector seals..?? oh and the shift link for 3-4 gear broke in my 6 speed..?? posford ford till i die but i will be a poor man

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
....about your oil cooler ....take the extra 2 minutes and unbolt the front header from the front timing cover--2 bolts.

Then after installing the new seal rings, it's easier to push back together and install as a unit.

That neck on the timing cover is not fond of the pressure when you push the cooler bundle back in.....

I had a timing cover go from bad to worse and that is a "remove enging job"

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a wheel lift wrecker makes putting the cooler bundle back together again real easy.lube the orings with some oil or a little vasaline to make it easier to get the ends back on over the orings without tearing them.and before you bash ford parts 98% of the parts on your engine are international parts repackaged in a ford box along with twice the price of international.

st6psycho

Reaction score
ya so i didnt have 2 jack the engine to get the unit back in.. i used all 6 new seals i dont no if i pinched one of the inside seals but now oil is getting in the coolant and coolant in the oil..?? sucks bc now i have to flush coolant and oil and then do a low milage change to flush the oil system out.... any ideas lol i havent got it back apart yet it doesn take that long its just this fix just doubled in cost lol
rw

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you tore an oring or the rubbery parts on the mounting gasket or cracked the housings.

st6psycho

Reaction score
see u have a 95... the 99 -03 use stamped aluminum manifold gaskets and rubber o rings... nothing to tear 92-97 run a paper style manifold gasket...

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 6.9 and 7.3 IDI up to 94.5 ran a paper gasket.94.5-97 runs the same gaskets and orings as the 99-03.you tore an oring or the rubbery parts on the mouting gasket

st6psycho

Reaction score
they have diff part #s and ther is one less bolt on the oil cooler bolting it to the block on the 99 verse earlier stuff

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the motor is the same from 94.5-03 a few few slight casting changes to the block but nothing that will make it not fit in a 94.5-97.

i can see you are one those know it all types.im done here.have fun fixin your truck on your own

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i work on these things everyday.i have my 95.i work on a friends 99 f450.the tow company that i do all the maintenance and repairs for has a 99 IH that i just put a brand new turbo on last night.ive been deeper in these motors than most on these sites.i also figured out how to mod a 94.5-95 timing cover to run the 96-03 HPOP without the drain back issue.id have to think i know what im talkin about