clarification; early IDI oil cooler bundle vs. late IDI cooler bundles

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to replace my oil cooler and get conflictin info on part interchange. On the early 7.3 IDI 87-93 vs the 94 + is the only difference the mounting pedastals or is the cooler bundle different? (length, diameter, etc. ) Worked on these since 1984, but always used the existing, cleaned, orings, rodded out etc. My pedestals are fine, but I do not trust the bundle (1989). Are the tabs on the bundle the same or clocked different. Last one I did was a 92 IDI, thanks!

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from the years you listed, are you mixing up powerstroke cooler with IDI cooler? The same thing happened to me on a NAPA order recently I was assured it was for IDI and got powerstroke cooler parts

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I am going to replace my oil cooler and get conflictin info on part interchange. On the early 7.3 IDI 87-93 vs the 94 + is the only difference the mounting pedastals or is the cooler bundle different? (length, diameter, etc. ) Worked on these since 1984, but always used the existing, cleaned, orings, rodded out etc. My pedestals are fine, but I do not trust the bundle (1989). Are the tabs on the bundle the same or clocked different. Last one I did was a 92 IDI, thanks!

My understanding is it's the same cooler with a denser bundle inside. It's an upgraded part for the factory turbo engine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tabs are the same between turbo and NA IIRC.

At one time you could get both na and turbo bundles, and then you could only get turbo bundles. During covid you couldn't get any, and a lot of parts stores sold power stroke bundles as a mistake. Now I see ford and IH both have turbo bundles available again. Only use a bundle from ford/IH or reuse your stock one. If you're going to use a dorman or any other aftermarket one, do yourself a favor and dump the oil in the radiator to skip the wait period. Then you can go buy an oe unit, o-rings, and gaskets and have it fixed right.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On the early 7.3 IDI 87-93 vs the 94 + is the only difference the mounting pedastals or is the cooler bundle different? (length, diameter, etc. )
There isn't a simple answer to this one. There was two different styles of pedestals/headers/end caps (whatever you want to call them). I believe that the bundles themselves were all the same except for the Factory Turbo ones (see below). The earlier end caps used 3 o-rings each, while the later ones used two each. When I used to work on these for a living, we would disassemble the oil coolers, send the bindles off to be cleaned, pressure tested and repaired if needed. The end caps were just put in a large tub to be cleaned up and reused later. We had no idea what bundle came with what end caps when we would assemble a "new" oil cooler. An assembled oil cooler can be used on any IDI from the first block in 1983 up to the last block in 1994. Internationals and vans both used different end caps that let the bundle sit closer to the engine and (I believe) the front one only used three mounting bolts. Again, they used the same bundles as the trucks. If you buy a complete engine gasket set, there will be a funny looking triangle shaped oil cooler mounting gasket. It's for the vans and Internationals.
from the years you listed, are you mixing up powerstroke cooler with IDI cooler?
I'm sure that this is the issue going by the years just like you did. The 7.3PSD bundle is longer than the IDI bundle is. By how much? I'm not sure. You can use a IDI bundle for a 7.3PSD, but it is short enough to let oil go by the o-rings and into the cooling system. I got to swap out three engines before we figured this out.
My understanding is it's the same cooler with a denser bundle inside. It's an upgraded part for the factory turbo engine.
Yes it is. The correct listing for the Turbo bundle would be for '93 and '94 only. It would have a different part number than the N/A bundle.
Tabs are the same between turbo and NA IIRC.
Yes they are. We mixed and matched bundles without knowing/realizing that there was a difference.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any links to where I can find one? Not having much luck in my search. Wish I could reuse mine, but its beat to hell and somehow has rocks in the tubes.
I'm not going to say that it is impossible for it to have rocks in it, but I think they are more likely mineral deposits from someone not using distilled water. Could also be rust scale.

James