oil change

dirtbikemike

Reaction score
I have changed oil plenty of times on gas motors. Any tips for the 6.0? With the filter being on top which to drain first, filter or oil?

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
I pulled the drain plug first. but I don't think it really matters. Just when you pull up the filter, if you have driven it recently, remember to let the oil drip out first. If you haven't driven it in a while, there prolly won't be too much to drip out.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the simplest oil change You will do... The cap on the oil filter will kinda pop up and allow the oil to drain... I put a fumoto valve on my oil pan, cause pulling the plug on 15 quarts of oil going straight down was a small mess the first time.... But other than that, just watch how much you refill it.. It will take somewhere between 13.5 and 14 quarts... 15 quarts will overfill it. The system holds 1-1.5 quarts in the system.

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loosen the oil filter first. Then open the Fumoto valve. By the time I stand on the bumper to pull the old filter out it doesn't drip at all. I turn a ziplock bag inside out and put the old filter in it to pul it from the cap. It's the easiest vehicle I've ever changed oil on. Keith

mjstef

Big Sky Country....
Reaction score
Watch them Fumoto valves if you go off road AT ALL! A friend of mine drove over a small tree limb and it snapped up and busted the valve. There he was 10 miles off the pavement with no oil. Didn't hurt the engine as it shut off when it lost oil pressure.

rgdillon

Junior Newbie
Reaction score
Originally posted by mjstef
Watch them Fumoto valves if you go off road AT ALL! A friend of mine drove over a small tree limb and it snapped up and busted the valve. There he was 10 miles off the pavement with no oil. Didn't hurt the engine as it shut off when it lost oil pressure.

Did he not have it screwed in tight or all the way in? I've used them on all my cars and trucks since they first came out and have never heard of anyone breaking one off like that.

Ron

mjstef

Big Sky Country....
Reaction score
Originally posted by rgdillon
Did he not have it screwed in tight or all the way in? I've used them on all my cars and trucks since they first came out and have never heard of anyone breaking one off like that.

Ron

I guess the branch hit it the right way and it snapped. They hang down an inch or so below the pan so they are a target for anything when you run off road.....