oil change @&%^#$&^

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is it that every time I change my oil, no matter how careful I try to be, I still make a huge mess and spill oil everywhere...and since oil from a diesel is so black and nasty it's a lot harder to clean up, so I can't get it off the concrete...agh -cuss

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Pressure washer with ZEP concrete cleaner detergent. Hell yea! That stuff will clean anything, just don't do it too often because it will eventually eat away at the concrete.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, get a big piece or cardboard or some visqueen and put it down before you start. Next, get a big drain pan, or two smaller ones.

Sometimes messes can't be avoided. So, when you do make a mess, clean up the "india ink" diesel oil as quick as you can. I like the combination of brake cleaner and hand cleaner to get up as much of the immediate mess as possible. Pressure washing with strong degreaser and/or muratic acid will clean concrete, albeit at the expense of the concrete surface long term. Sealing my garage floor was the best thing I ever did, now any dirt/grease/oil is easily cleaned.

Good luck, and may the cleaning force guide you to a cleaner future.

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Get a box that comes with 6 qts of oil in it.
2. Open up both ends.
3. Place it under the drain pan and over the catch pan.
4. Remove drain plug.
5. Think to yourself why didn't I think of that.

It's that easy. I do it all day beleive me this is the cheapest/fastest/most effective method.

DragRag

Reaction score
Pull truck into dirt field over favorite gopher hole, pull plug. Kill gopher, weeds, and change oil all at the same time. Yea!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pressure washer with ZEP concrete cleaner detergent. Hell yea! That stuff will clean anything, just don't do it too often because it will eventually eat away at the concrete.
i break up the oil spots first with diesel fuel and then use the ZEP.
no pressure washer needed:D

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
I have a container that I got a center section for a 9" in. It about 1/2" shorter than the drain plug. Break the bolt loose, slide the bucket under, spin off the bolt. and wait. Works great! Not a drop on the driveway.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I use a little gasoline (in a well vented area-open garage door)swishit around with an old broom,sprinkle speedy dry on it let set when dry swweep it up-it will be spotless.

sootman73

Reaction score
i'm assuming that he wants to avoid making a mess altogether and not just clean his concrete everytime. LOL

when you crack the filter loose you drain everything in the filter head and the oil cooler above it. i usually take a self tapping screw and screw it into the bottom of the filter. pull it out, let everything drain out and then put it back in so it stops dripping. then when you pull the filter off there wont be oil spilling everywhere. i can do an oil change without spilling one drop of oil.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filter is what caused all my problems really. I was spinning it off and of course it fell out of my hand and spilled oil everywhere :frustrate

I'm gonna have to try to clean that up tonight. Oh and I did use kitty litter...apparently it doesn't really pick up oil all that well, or I guess I just didn't have enough left.

sootman73

Reaction score
yea and i learned not to leave a bucket of oil just setting there.... i had my dog tied up near the barn and she got her tie wrapped around a couple buckets. and then i used my 50lb bag of oil dry. not a good morning....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online