oil change @&%^#$&^

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how can people from California say a "liberal" will be up your **** etc when it is your republican conservative gubinator that passed a number of very restrictive environmental bills. I also love that the only reason not to poison the ground with used motor oil is because you might get in trouble lol

anywho, i use a huge tub for draining my oil. like a plastic storage container. The full oil capacity only fills 1/4th of the container. seems to keep the ground pretty clean for me

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the ********* square funnel for an auto trans service to make the target the oil has to contact quite a bit bigger

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have found the kitty litter/oil absorb works a lot better if you walk on it or crush it somehow. This way the smaller chunks/dust will get into the tiny crevices of the concrete cleaning it even further.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
OK folks, get out your pens and paper, here's the professional trick I came up with a number of years ago when I was doing mobile service where I would do oil changes at rich folks houses ( they have a tendency to frown on ANY oil spots left on their high dollar driveways when you get done servicing their high dollar cars -cuss

Go to the grocery store or wally world or what have you and pick up a pack of those large incontinence pads, the things in the adult diaper section that folks who can't hold their *** lay on their beds under their sheets. These things will absorb an insane amount of oil. Before you start the change lay a few pads under the vehicle , overlapped to where they will catch all the falling oil, use tape if needed ( some vehicles require taping the things up in a cup shape into the engine compartment to funnel it down). Proceed with the oil change. after, pickup the pads and dispose of them. If it's a vehicle where oil ends up following the frame and dripping for a while, leave one pad under the thing with a few rocks or some tape to hold it with instructions to remove the pad when the dripping stops.

Results, zero oil on the driveway and no need to clean ;Sweet

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is it that every time I change my oil, no matter how careful I try to be, I still make a huge mess and spill oil everywhere...and since oil from a diesel is so black and nasty it's a lot harder to clean up, so I can't get it off the concrete...agh -cuss

At least you have concrete! I get to roll around in muddy gravel. :hail

sassyrel

Reaction score
if your truck is 4x4--a five gallon bucket should slide under truck, and under oil pan--if not,0r 2x4--get a shorter bucket. then. get a screwdriver, and punch hole in bottom of filter,so oil goes in bucket. when stops draining,remove filter, doing what you need to do with it. then slide bucket under drain plug, and drain oil. shouldnt leave any mess--------and if you think the filter may make a mess when you take it off, wrap a plastic grocery bag around it--then remove it--after the screwdriver trick--

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
if your truck is 4x4--a five gallon bucket should slide under truck, and under oil pan--if not,0r 2x4--get a shorter bucket. then. get a screwdriver, and punch hole in bottom of filter,so oil goes in bucket. when stops draining,remove filter, doing what you need to do with it. then slide bucket under drain plug, and drain oil. shouldnt leave any mess--------and if you think the filter may make a mess when you take it off, wrap a plastic grocery bag around it--then remove it--after the screwdriver trick--

this is exactly what i just did because i was tired of the same crap. i only spilled a little because of the damn wind blowing the last little bit comming out of the pan. otherwise it would have worked great.

i also just put a light coat of kitty litter down that way alot less will get on the concrete.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Go to the grocery store or wally world or what have you and pick up a pack of those large incontinence pads, the things in the adult diaper section that folks who can't hold their *** :rotflmao

That is an awesome idea.:thumbsup: That last little bit is always the most offending part of the job.-cuss

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That is an awesome idea.:thumbsup: That last little bit is always the most offending part of the job.-cuss

I might add that those pads are great for laying under an engine stand when doing a rebuild to catch all the fluids or in any other situation where you would normally get a mess of oils or cleaners or brake fluid sloshing around , they keep things nice and tidy ;Sweet

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last time I changed my oil, the filter slipped out of my hand when I got it unscrewed, and I got oil everywhere!:mad: I ruined my t-shirt and spent a half hour in the shower cleaning off.
The filter is at a weird angle, I think.

sootman73

Reaction score
yea it is. thats why i drain the filter and cooler first before removing it. biggest thing is to just be patient. if you wait and extra two minutes of letting things drip it will save all the time of cleaning up a big mess. learned that at work when a semi or 4wd tractor filter will hold 1.5 gallons! you think it makes a mess to drop our filters? :rotflmao:rotflmao;Pissed;Pissed

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
oil cleanup

I have cats, but have found kitty litter to be terrible about picking up oil, as others have attested to here. I use sawdust. It works great, and is really absorbent! And it is reusable, if you are in a pinch.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I have cats, but have found kitty litter to be terrible about picking up oil, as others have attested to here. I use sawdust. It works great, and is really absorbent! And it is reusable, if you are in a pinch.

its reusable all right--to start fires in the woodstove---;Sweet

Tarantula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm assuming that he wants to avoid making a mess altogether and not just clean his concrete everytime. LOL

when you crack the filter loose you drain everything in the filter head and the oil cooler above it. i usually take a self tapping screw and screw it into the bottom of the filter. pull it out, let everything drain out and then put it back in so it stops dripping. then when you pull the filter off there wont be oil spilling everywhere. i can do an oil change without spilling one drop of oil.

;Sweet Excellent idea!

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have one of those large black tubs they use to mix concrete in. its about a foot tall, 2 feet wide by about 3 feet long. it fits nice under my dually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger