Oil burning physics

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to make a 5 gallon tank to heat and completely de-water any oil I would like to run.So it would use a imeresed electric water heater to heat the oil up.I would like the oil to be 250*F in less than 5 minutes or so.

so 5 gallons/18.9 Liters of oil
tempurature change of atleast 200*F or 100*C
weight of the oil is estimated to be 16.443 KG or 36 lbs
specific heat of oil is 2 KJ/KG(why I have alot of things in metric)

I would like to know what sort of wattage rating I need to heat that volume of oil in less than 5 minutes.Thanks in advance.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so I figured it out that it will take 3,288,600 J to heat the oil.A watt is a J/s so 5 minutes=300 seconds. dividing Joules by seconds I get 1096.2 watts.

so then basically I need a water heater for 1000 W or better,most likely 1100 W.

However at those watts when will I start burning the oil that is near the heater?

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know if I dont circulate in my BD processer the oil will burn and stick to the element. I dont think that by just heating it to 250 deg it'll dewater it. You need something else to help it along, evaporation or settling. I would think a flash evaporatior would work best. Pump the oil at 230+ through a small orifice(size?) into a container and the water should expand and turn to steam. The steam would need to be evacuated.

With WVO you can do a HPT (hot pan test) with WMO you cant, so it's hard to tell if theres water in it. Oh and NEVER mix WVO/WMO it'll clog your injectors. Run them seperate, but dont mix.

Stu

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you ever cooked anything with a house hold deep frier with some water in there?The water boils right out long before the oil gets hot enough to even cook with.Kinda neat to watch actually. Remember water boils at 212 so pretty much by the time the oil gets to 250 most if not all of the water would already be out.

But Im not sure how to heat the oil without the oil burning to the heating element...

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have used a deep fryer. I use a 15gal pot and propane turkey fryer to dewater my veg oil. BUT I also pump it and it gets sprayed back into the pot. It's sprayed in a wide fan and splashes creating bubbles. The splashing and bubbles helps it to evaporate.

Oil can still have water in it if you just heat it. You could heat it and settle, this takes time and gravity will work it's magic or you need to force the water out.

Stu

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This would be a pre and post centrifuging operation.

Sometimes the oil would have a ton of emulsified water in it,other times I would filter a batch at night and there would be some condensation in the clean oil..

so I figure If i heat the heat the 250*F before and after centrifuging I should be golden,err black..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online