Oh Shoot!!!

sasquatch81

Reaction score
So I will explain in as much detail as I can without giving my thoughts just to hopefully get some non influenced feedback.
'
I noticed last night that my truck was a quart and a half low on oil. I filled to just above halfway in the hash marks. went to the store this morning and as I was leaving I had to get on the throttle to get out of the parking lot. I noticed a louder thank normal clacking. I continued down the road and the clacking seemed to get louder. I pulled into a neighborhood and slowed down and now white smoke was pouring from the exhaust. I limped my way about 3/4 of a mile home to minimize damage but not incur a tow. When I arrived home I shut off the truck and opened the hood. I checked the oil after the truck had sat for 20 mins or so and it was well above the hash marks. I'm guessing maybe 2 quarts more than the night before. I opened the radiator cap and coolant levels are low.

Please tell me that this isn't what I think it is. I will express more of my thoughts after I get some opinions from those that I'm sure know better than me.

Not sure if this info is in my signature so, The truck is a 1994 Ford F-250 Turbo 7.3l IDI with 224,000 miles.

sasquatch81

Reaction score
I guess I'll just put my thoughts out there and see what you guys think.

I am guessing that this is either a head gasket or cracked block. Is there any definitive way of knowing which it may be?

I've read some posts stating that a bad injector could cause knocking and excessive white smoke, but something tells me this is not the case do to the increased oil level.

The oil did not have white goo so maybe it's not coolant in the oil. I don't know for sure.

One other thing is it did seam like there was condensation on the oil fill cap.

Uggghhhh. I guess I hope it's a head gasket. Never thought I'd say that!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Okay, but was there coolant in the oil?
If you're running a stock lift pump, I bet it ruptured, leaking fuel into the crankcase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah if the oil isn't like chocolate milk then that might just be it (the failed lift pump). Especially since you had to limp home with lots of white smoke. The IP can apparently run without the lift pump, but it doesn't like it very much at all.

I'd check the lift pump for sure.

Another thing is let the truck sit for a bit then pull the drain plug out of the oilpan just enough to let a little oil out. If its water and not oil thats another sign of coolant in the oil.

sasquatch81

Reaction score
So, there is definitely coolant in my oil. I drained a bit off of the oil pan and sure enough. I also idle the truck for a couple minutes prior to checking the oil and found that I am dumping oil off the back of the engine somewhere. Looks like it is coming from the turbo oil feed line at the connection to the block. When running steam was pouring from the cdr valve. So my guess is this is either head gasket or cavitation. Any thoughts would be helpful to hear. Not sure what my next step is.