Not looking to be swonked but..... (no, not selling the truck)

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
grrr... no worries, won't be getting a dodge here right yet..... they decided against selling the truck because there farm help raised six kinds of hell when they told him they were going to sell the truck, since he drives it daily and to home, etc.... they didn't want that guy to quit so they figured just keep it......

i'm aggrevated....... my trucks a disaster, been driving my mom's psd around, which will only last so long, she'll be needing it sometime...... grrr....

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
oh i forgot.... i got some jb weld and tried to take the dipstick tube out to clean it up and try and re-seal it..... it must have been comical but i couldn't get that tube out to save my life.......... GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The problems with Your engine 'sound' simple to fix. Too bad You are not closer the guys around here are just itching for something to break and make a mini meet :D then we get to play with someone else's truck. Haul something this way and We get it fixed for You.;Really

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With that oil leak out the dipstick, ya sure you ain't overfilling the oil. As many times as you have had it out and back in, could it be it's forced in farther than it's supposed to be. Are you checking the oil level when it's hot and 15 minutes after shut down, takes that long to drain all the oil back to come up to the full mark on the stick. A quart low when cold is about right level. Since the tube is leaking so bad, the hole may have got distorted and the tube is going in to far, should only go in about 3/4". Does the bolt bracket on the tube look like it's bent? If your overfilling, the crank will thrash the oil and aireate it, maybe that's why you don't register any oil pressure.

Just some thought's. My .04 worth adjusted for inflation.:dunno

Where is Paint Lick KY ? Can't find it on the map. Paintsville ? Found it, not to far off I-75 on 52

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read through this thread and something doesn't seem to add up. I can't see how a dipstic tube could leak that much oil even if the tube was installed without any sealer or an O ring.

I hate to be asking a stupid question, but are you sure the dipstick tube is actually making it into the block? It can be hard to tell if the bottom is in properly. I made that mistake myself once and because of how things lined up, I was still getting a reading off the dipstick since the oil was dripping on it.

Other than that, I almost wonder if the tube has a rust hole in it, but this really has me stumped.

Does it leak at idle, or just when driving?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Sam, Is the little adapter missing from the block that the upper dipstick tube goes in?? Dumb question but take a look. It also may be cracked, it is about 20 bucks from ford, it called a "lower dipstick tube", about 3/4 inch long. I have a new one somewhere if you need it.
Also as said before IH must have had a special o-ring carver making that dipstick tube seal because I have never found one that is right, the rtv way is a good fix.
The oil pressure is a nonevent till the manual gauge is installed.
It sounds like you have a load of little things that need some love then you will have a happy truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted above but... Some motors don't have that special dip stick fitting. My 89 and 88 7.3 blocks don't have it. The tube just slides into the block. Sam... You may need another tube... Also check the front of the block near the lift pump. There is another location for a dip stick tube. Thats the location used by the big dump trucks with the front mounted deep sump oil pans... Someone here said that you just turn the pan around and install it for the dump trucks... I'm not so sure about that. I will be checking and will post back when I test this for being true... Calvin... Any imput on the front sump pans???

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this thread embodies my gripe with a national board, as in "text book example".

Ain't nobody close enough to drive over and put 2 or 3 heads around the problem..

Good suggestions here, good luck.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this thread embodies my gripe with a national board, as in "text book example".

Ain't nobody close enough to drive over and put 2 or 3 heads around the problem..

Good suggestions here, good luck.
difference is, there will be enough local people reading this that enough will show up to give her a hand with this.
sam-
time to orginaize a mini-meet to get your truck fixed.;Sweet

if you lived out on the left coast, this would have been dealt with long ago. we have members here who would drive six hours each way just for food.

tractorman86

Reaction score
6 hrs for food:eek: well hell, i've got all kinds of problems calvin, wanna help me with my timing, custom installing a turbo, 7.3psd IC and some other fun stuff? you're probably only 8 hrs from me:D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't make the drive...a sokal member didcookoo
But if you're SOL somewhere in a day's drive, I've been known to come out and help as long as there is basic compensation involved(fuel, food, lodging & alcohol):D

tknomaj

Reaction score
I didn't make the drive...a sokal member didcookoo
But if you're SOL somewhere in a day's drive, I've been known to come out and help as long as there is basic compensation involved(fuel, food, lodging & alcohol):D

Gee Calvin You Work Cheap. OH I Forgot Alcohol costs $$$$$ and They Just Raised OUR TAXES:rotflmao

Last edited:

tractorman86

Reaction score
i was just bustin chops calvin, but if someone with a timing meter wants to make a trip i could have some fuel, beer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online