Not looking to be swonked but..... (no, not selling the truck)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You get that truck to the rally, and it won't have any problems when it leaves. ;Sweet

RedTruck

Reaction score
Sam,

I'm just shooting from the hip here but...

For what you'd spend on the Dodge, and knowing Gary is bored out of his gourd right now (looking for a job no less). I'd ask Gary real nice if you could pay him to build you a short block (or long block) for your rig. He's going to the rally and so are you. Maybe he could bring it with him and they can schedule a transplant at the rally. From what I've heard Gary has one corner behind the seat open LOL

You'd probably still have extra cash to order at least a pensicola turbo pump if not a Moose pump (Mel could even bring it with him)

I'm just making suggestions here. I can't think of a better person to build you an IDI. I can't think of a better group of people to install an IDI. And if the idea is to get get Diesel Power to the rally...a full blown engine replacement with dyno run would be pretty tough to stay away from! ;Sweet

Just a thought

Paul

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The prices I listed yesterday are from kelly blue book's web site. The general rule for car dealers is to pay no more that 80% of low book and that's if it's real nice. If the seller is talking a much higher price then print out avg trade in value from the kbb website and tell him it loses a little more for body dmge etc. Also remember that the economy is in the toilet so even car stealers are paying less than 80% right now. The way to think of the value is can you buy it now and sell it for same or profit a year later? That way you usually don't get hurt in the pocket book.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
So I may have an oppurtunity to purchase a 97 (i think) 2500 cummins..... reg cab long bed. been a farm truck mostly, 5 speed, 4x4.... so it's the 12valve, good motor to have.... :thumbsup: truck has been owned by one person it's whole life, and has always been a good running truck., mechanically sound, the bed would depart and in place would be a flatbed since it's dented up....... What is this truck worth in ya'lls opinion? Do I need to look for anything special if I check the truck out. The person who owns it wouldn't lie bout it, it has 200XXX miles on it. If it would be reliable I'd go for it, cause my trucks giving me all kinds of grief at the momentee..... any thoughts? :dunno

it may be the dark side, but heck it's a 12 valve.......:D

Buy it, bring it to MD and You can drive away with Your ford 10 more reliable than when You drove IN. You will be missing 2 cylinders on the way back but I don't think You will miss them :D.

I'm crabbing for another conversion.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Being the Cummins guy in our shop I had to have a 12V/P-pump to build....Having said that I wouldn't buy a Dodge to get one so I bought a 5-ton L7000 Ford for it's 5.9 powerplant for $500. Dodge trucks are front-end killer's...I mean yearly front-end killers. I won't swap my 5.9 into my F250 as the IDI is too damn reliable and cheaper than the 5.9 to fix when it does break. My 5.9 is going into a summer toy (probably a 2wd dually F350) as it will be turned up to 500-600HP. For the money you will spend to buy the Dodge truck and fix it up you could more than repair your IDI and then you will know exactly what you have to drive everyday.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Sam,

I'm just shooting from the hip here but...

For what you'd spend on the Dodge, and knowing Gary is bored out of his gourd right now (looking for a job no less). I'd ask Gary real nice if you could pay him to build you a short block (or long block) for your rig. He's going to the rally and so are you. Maybe he could bring it with him and they can schedule a transplant at the rally. From what I've heard Gary has one corner behind the seat open LOL

You'd probably still have extra cash to order at least a pensicola turbo pump if not a Moose pump (Mel could even bring it with him)

I'm just making suggestions here. I can't think of a better person to build you an IDI. I can't think of a better group of people to install an IDI. And if the idea is to get get Diesel Power to the rally...a full blown engine replacement with dyno run would be pretty tough to stay away from! ;Sweet

Just a thought

Paul

& you still won't end up with the same power or be as reliable at those power levels as you will with just alittle work on a 97 Cummins with a 215 pump.
You gotta take the IDI for what it is.

RedTruck

Reaction score
& you still won't end up with the same power or be as reliable at those power levels as you will with just alittle work on a 97 Cummins with a 215 pump.
You gotta take the IDI for what it is.

Agreed, but complaining about power is different than complaining about problems. If Sam's going to hang on to the IDI anyway, she may as well stick that cash into it. She's driven this rig for what about a year now. Got some kinks worked out...stuck some cash into a paint job. Nice looking rig with a questionable engine.

All I'm saying is you don't need two lame mares. You're going to end up shooting one so you can save the other. My .02 is hold out, sit on your cash and flip the bill for one heart surgery...instead of one heart surgery a bullet and some tears.

Paul

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Agreed, but complaining about power is different than complaining about problems. If Sam's going to hang on to the IDI anyway, she may as well stick that cash into it. She's driven this rig for what about a year now. Got some kinks worked out...stuck some cash into a paint job. Nice looking rig with a questionable engine.

All I'm saying is you don't need two lame mares. You're going to end up shooting one so you can save the other. My .02 is hold out, sit on your cash and flip the bill for one heart surgery...instead of one heart surgery a bullet and some tears.

Paul

& I will agree with you there, my dodge steered like a row boat going down the road & the tranny was toast. But that was a junk dodge auto too. :puke:
One thing about the truck Sam is looking at is it's a manual & aside from the 5th gear problem on the NV4500 they are a pretty sound tranny. $130 in a steering stabliser for the frontend & call it good for the most part.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Wow I haven't made it on here in a few days..... I've just gotten an earful....... lol..... This here dodge truck is gunna be cheap.... like 2k or less..... It's been a farm truck thats been used, it's my vets truck, it's always had maintenence done on it etc.....

Now my truck...... pours bout a quart of oil out every 10 minutes, has no oil pressure when driving but yet...... the dipstick still says its full...... the oil is coming from the dipstick tube where it goes into the block. I need to get the power windows fixed and both the rear axle seals that were replaced are leaking......again. (i didn't do that brought it to a shop) Mostly I can't drive the truck because it's a dayum fire hazard and I'm afraid I will be blowing it up with no oil pressure...... I'm out of ideas I've tried fixing to dipstick tube 3 times now (it got pulled out of the block about 6 weeks ago and the repair held about 2 weeks)....... I need to just take it to a friends shop and leave it there and let em fix it cause I can't......

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it'll be cheap. It's true that the front ends on the Dodges (and jeeps) really suck but when you need a truck you need a truck. The dodge can be a thrash truck and/or backup truck. Oil out of the dipstick tube...., possible reasons for that. Excessive crank case pressure coupled with oil level too high by human error or fuel getting into oil. Excessive pressure can be caused my piston/ring damage or possibly cdr issues. Maybe the oil leak comes from somewhere besides the opening on the block? I'd suggest removing dipstick tube and checking for a crack. Does the truck smoke alot out of the exhaust and do you run wmo?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow I haven't made it on here in a few days..... I've just gotten an earful....... lol..... This here dodge truck is gunna be cheap.... like 2k or less..... It's been a farm truck thats been used, it's my vets truck, it's always had maintenence done on it etc.....

Now my truck...... pours bout a quart of oil out every 10 minutes, has no oil pressure when driving but yet...... the dipstick still says its full...... the oil is coming from the dipstick tube where it goes into the block. I need to get the power windows fixed and both the rear axle seals that were replaced are leaking......again. (i didn't do that brought it to a shop) Mostly I can't drive the truck because it's a dayum fire hazard and I'm afraid I will be blowing it up with no oil pressure...... I'm out of ideas I've tried fixing to dipstick tube 3 times now (it got pulled out of the block about 6 weeks ago and the repair held about 2 weeks)....... I need to just take it to a friends shop and leave it there and let em fix it cause I can't......
sam-
did you put a cheap mechanical gauge on it just to see what your true pressure readings are at?

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
No not yet. Now... I did put a RDT on there a while back but the truck ran fine for 2-3 weeks before this, its 3/4 ID tube has no kinks and drips a little oil and you can see some blowby. this wouldnt be causing the issue would it? The dipstick tube, I can clean it off and WATCH the oil leak out of there..... No WMO, not much smoke out of the exhaust and there is no fuel in the oil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes