New to me ATS 088 EGT question

Josh_Deal

Reaction score
Just recently got the Ats 088 installed and have a question about egt's. My injection pump died shortly before doing the turbo install so i used the one from the parts truck that the turbo was removed from. I am not sure if the pump was ever turned up. I just got my isspro pyro installed and wanted to know what i should be seeing temp wise from a stock vs. turned up pump unloaded. As of this evening, at idle i am running about 250-300 degrees. Unloaded, i see around 600 degrees with hard acceleration, and 3-450 under light acceleration. On the highway under hard acceleration it is running as high as 800 and as low as 600 under light acceleration. Rpms at these temps range from 2000-2500. Outside temps today are around 70 degrees. I would like to turn the pump up per the ats 088 instructions but dont want to mess with it if its already been done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First question would be: Where do you have the probe for the pyro installed? In the exhaust manifold, right before the turbo or after the turbo?

That will make a big difference.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sherwin, good question. It does sound like you have a little wiggle room there. I would turn her up one flat at a time, checking temps after each fuel adjustment increase. Also take into consideration that egt's will be slightly higher when towing heavy. Downshifting when egt's spike is always a good idea when towing too. Keep her under 1150 F and you will be ok. If pyro probe is mounted in the 088 exhaust manifold snail hole like mine is, I would like to see a max temp of 1000 F. Temps will read a bit cooler in that specific location which is why you need to compensate when reading pyro.

FYI Sherwin, haven't gotten around to truck lately. Will let you know how my pyro installation goes this weekend. Thx again for your help.

Josh_Deal

Reaction score
Thermocouple is installed in the factory location in the ats snail housing. Hot side about 6 inches from the turbo itself

Josh_Deal

Reaction score
I don't tow that often but when I do it's typically just a 5x8 utility trailer with a lawn mower or lumber. About how much difference in temps would I normally see loaded vs unloaded. I want to be able to utilize the turbo to Its full extent but don't want I screw something up. Are we talking hundreds of degrees? If it doesn't vary that much I will just turn it up til I'm running around 900 degrees or so while I've got the engine pegged but not towing anything.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't tow that often but when I do it's typically just a 5x8 utility trailer with a lawn mower or lumber. About how much difference in temps would I normally see loaded vs unloaded. I want to be able to utilize the turbo to Its full extent but don't want I screw something up. Are we talking hundreds of degrees? If it doesn't vary that much I will just turn it up til I'm running around 900 degrees or so while I've got the engine pegged but not towing anything.

Do you have a boost gauge? If so, what are you seeing for boost numbers?

Josh_Deal

Reaction score
I don't have a boost gauge but can hear a low grown in the cab that builds as I am accelerating. Its for a nice whistle too so I know it's spooling.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Just know that turning up the fuel ~typically~ will create more boost, and that too much boost is worse than not enough....Can you say head gaskets?

Oh, and you really oughta create a signature with your truck's info (year, model, engine, trans, mods, etc., etc.) so we know how to help and what we're working with....

JM2CW

Josh_Deal

Reaction score
Thanks. Will do in the signature deal. I am not looking to roll coal, just want to be able to use the turbo the way it's made to be used. Adding the turbo made a huge difference in the way this truck runs. I just wonder if there is more I can get out of it...

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at 900 deg I'd say you have a bit of room yet. My truck can easily see 1050+ just flooring it empty with a head wind etc

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Will do in the signature deal. I am not looking to roll coal, just want to be able to use the turbo the way it's made to be used. Adding the turbo made a huge difference in the way this truck runs. I just wonder if there is more I can get out of it...

When you changed the IP, first thing to do is check/reset the IP timing. Timing is condusive to MPG, HP, EGT and efficiency of the turbo. Turning up the fuel, one or two flats, might just make the truck roll coal without improving anything.

Josh_Deal

Reaction score
When you changed the IP, first thing to do is check/reset the IP timing. Timing is condusive to MPG, HP, EGT and efficiency of the turbo. Turning up the fuel, one or two flats, might just make the truck roll coal without improving anything.

When I installed the new used pump I left the timing gear and cover in and removed the 3 bolts from behind the inspection cover and then lifted the old pump out. Installation was the reversal of this and then made sure all of the timing marks were lined up on the new ip and engine just like they were on the old pump. I turned the key and she fired right up.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but that doesn't make any difference on the new pump. It is most likely timed differently internally. The marks are a starting point only.

I agree, timing makes a huge difference. Get it done the right way; you'll never be sorry.

Josh_Deal

Reaction score
Ok guys. I got the pump turned up exactly 2 flats and all seems well. i am now pushing about 600 degrees on light acceleration and around 900 floored. Havent tested it on the highway yet. What color, if any should my smoke be at idle? Seems like i remember seeing something that said a light haze was acceptable at idle and that's what i have. Thanks for the help guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online