New to me 1986 F-350 Crew with 6.9

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Tighten lines all the way then back out 1/4 turn at injectors . Crank till no air bubbles come out. Then tighten down. Also hold to wide open position

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the motor put back together and it started right up, only one problem......still thumping or "backfiring" out the intake -cuss. it was quieter at first, but then as I let the motor run, it started getting louder. So plan now is, out comes both heads for a valve job and resurface job and I am hoping that this will finally fix this problem. Gonna pull out the valley pan to make sure the lifter is okay and I don't have a problem with that lifter bore, because that would mean I have some serious issues that would require me to tear down the whole motor and get the lifter bore fixed which I don't think it would be worth that. Maybe I should drop in a IDI pre turbo 7.3 in it and be done with it.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuck or leaking intake valve or valves. That sucks man! If you don't have the time right now or the patience to pull and rebuild that 6.9, then a running take out IDI might not be a bad idea.......... if it's decent engine.

If you go that route, it'll give you some time to rebuild the 6.9 to better than new.

Either way..... we all would like to see some photos of what happend.

Heath

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I have been being lazy and taking no pictures. Will try and get some up here so all can see.