New to me 1986 F-350 Crew with 6.9

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not so bad pulling the head, just the two rear bolts like towcat said. It's putting the head back on (85lbs.) and getting it at the right angle to fit over the dowles without wrecking the intake gasket.

Checkout my webshots, head gasket repair. For some reason I can't download pics to a forum anymore. I used an electric hoist on the end of an engine hoist to pull and replace the head, even that way it was a *****.

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you must have sagging body mounts. it's a non-issue most of the time. once again, I will pull the bolts out as far as possible and then rubber band them to the valve springs. you are right, caution is the keyword.

I will try that, that would save me a lot of work for sure. I forgot to mention I am attempting this with the intake manifold and IP still in place, in my mind it looked like it would slide out and slide in pretty easily, but is proving to be a huge PITA.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Remove all of the bolts from the intake manifold. Better yet, just remove the I.P., manifold and the intake gasket. You'll have to do that to access the lifters anyway. I used to take the fan off of the water pump so I could stand on the steering the and put my head on a pile of rags on the heater box. It gave me extra support that way. The rags are just to make a cushion for your head.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i just pulled both my heads today. the drivers side was easy. i was able to get all but on bolt out of that head with it still on the engine. the pass side was a PITA, i think i had to leave 4 bolts in b/c of that big a/c box. every time i tried to lift the head, the bolts somehow managed to catch a couple threads in the block. i ended up getting it out though.

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the tips, I am thinking i will remove the IP and intake and gasket just to make sure i get the job done right. I will definitely use the rubberband or zip tie trick, and it will be easier once the intake is off.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
yeah, taking off the IP and intake manifold will make it a billion times easier on yourself. these heads are close to 100lbs a piece. trying to lift both heads, the IP, and intake manifold would be really tough.

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my IP off and intake off and head off today. Found out the problem, pictured below is the lifter retainer and it is missing an arm and I couldn't find the arm. I can only hope that it ended up in the oil pan and caused no major damage other than screwing up the lifter. The lifter however is stuck and the only way it is coming out is down, won't come out the top. So up next is pulling the motor and going through it and making sure that no major damage was done by this freak mishap. It seemed to run just fine with no metal on metal knocking, so I am hoping for the best.

You must be registered for see images attach

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen the lifter dog bone break like that. No clue why either. But, if the lifter is stuck in the bore, that bore and likely the cam are damaged and will need some TLC.

Heath

Last edited: