New to me 1986 F-350 Crew with 6.9

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I joined the IH Diesel club! I just bought a Chevy Crew with the 6.2 and when I was going through the motor I found the infamous cracks in the webs. Went and looked at 3 other motors here locally around Anchorage and all three had the same cracks! So I was looking on CL for some other motors and came across this beautiful 1986 F-350 with a 6.9 diesel and just turned 100,000 miles. Was used by a local church to haul people and cargo from place to place. I got it for such an awesome price because there is a stuck valve. It starts and runs but just makes a loud thumping noise out the air intake. I pulled the drivers side valve cover and quickly found the rocker arm on the #2 exhaust valve was really loose, so I found the culprit right away. Got everything removed ready to pull the head tomorrow and hopefully figure out the problem. I don't know how good the maintenance was on it so I plan on pulling the whole motor and going through it this spring or summer, but I need it to get me through winter for now. I am so excited about my new project, just got to get the 6.2 put back together and put back in the truck and put it up for sale and make some of my money back.

Here is a pic of my awesome truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

I got some sweet aluminum slotted mag wheels that will look sweet wrapped in some 33x12.50's with a 4" lift on the truck. This is the worst one, the others are in near perfect condition.

I will get some more pics up if the rain ever lets up here! Let me know what you guys think and any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Nice looking rig! If you want to take the engine out, it is your decision. But it doesn't seem necessary to do anything but replace the rockers with the upgraded 7.3 style (only thing Ford sells anymore and is a direct bolt on). I would start there before taking anything apart. Heck, you might not even need to take the heads off. The chuffing is because the exhaust valve is no longer opening and that cylinder is not working. Fix the rockers and you may have done all of your work! I would change out the pushrods at the same time. If the rockers are gone, the pushrods may have taken a beating, too.

Last edited:

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking rig! If you want to take the engine out, it is your decision. But it doesn't seem necessary to do anything but replace the rockers with the upgraded 7.3 style (only thing Ford sells anymore and is a direct bolt on). I would start there before taking anything apart. Heck, you might not eve need to take the heads off. The chuffing is because the exhaust valve is no longer opening and that cylinder is not working. Fix the rockers and you may have done all of your work! I would change out the pushrods at the same time. If the rockers are gone, the pushrods may have taken a beating, too.

I already took my rockers and push rods out, they are all good, no worn out cups and no bent rods. I think the valve is not seating properly or something along those lines. Gonna take the head off and see what is up. Hopefully the valve just needs to be cleaned up. Thanks for the comments.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Beautiful Truck! Congrats! Sounds like your not scared to work on it either. ;Sweet

I like the rims they will clean up nice and look great as well, Just make sure that they are 16" rims, and not 16.5". Most of those older style wheels were 16.5, and those size tires are getting hard to find.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that's a sharp looking ride, nice find. Hopefully that exhaust valve hasn't kissed the piston and bent thus sticking open. If so, replace and all should be good if lucky.

Keep us posted and ya...Keep the pics coming.

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beautiful Truck! Congrats! Sounds like your not scared to work on it either. ;Sweet

I like the rims they will clean up nice and look great as well, Just make sure that they are 16" rims, and not 16.5". Most of those older style wheels were 16.5, and those size tires are getting hard to find.

They are indeed 16.5x9.75, BFGoodrich and super swamper and some other people still have some tires that will fit.

Well that's a sharp looking ride, nice find. Hopefully that exhaust valve hasn't kissed the piston and bent thus sticking open. If so, replace and all should be good if lucky.

Keep us posted and ya...Keep the pics coming.

I am hoping the same thing, if the piston is not damaged too bad I will have no problem with this thing getting me through the winter.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May be a bad valve guide causing the issue with that exhaust valve. If so a new guides will have to be machined in. Had that work done to my 6.9 heads not too long ago. Lots of photos of my 6.9 rebuild in my webshots.

Love the '83-'86 crew cabs.

I'd also recommend upgrading to the 7.3 style rockers while you've got the heads apart.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The differance in the early 6.9 rockers is how the aluminum mount was made. the newer 7.3 rockers are made with a steel mount in them. also the older 6.9 rocker is no longer made or available.. Unless you find some nos parts. Even then its a bad idea to use them. Kinda like useing the older roller lifters that had the bushing bearing instead of the needle bearing rollers. You might have a lifter that has failed too causeing the issues. Lets hope not. That usually flattens the cam lobe..

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The differance in the early 6.9 rockers is how the aluminum mount was made. the newer 7.3 rockers are made with a steel mount in them. also the older 6.9 rocker is no longer made or available.. Unless you find some nos parts. Even then its a bad idea to use them. Kinda like useing the older roller lifters that had the bushing bearing instead of the needle bearing rollers. You might have a lifter that has failed too causeing the issues. Lets hope not. That usually flattens the cam lobe..

I am beginning to think it is the lifter, I lifted the head up enough to get my hand under there and feel around and seems like the valve is seating properly. Won't know till the head is off. I think the lifter hasn't came apart just might of collapsed a bit as it still lifts the push rod just not enough to open the exhaust valve, so hopefully the lobe is just fine.

Found out it is almost impossible to pull the head while the motor is still in the truck so going to be pulling the whole motor. Guess I will go ahead and go through the whole thing while it is out. I have to get my Chevy put back together and running before I can start on this bad boy so it will be sitting for the next couple of weeks or longer. Hoping I don't run into any more problems on the 6.2.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found out it is almost impossible to pull the head while the motor is still in the truck so going to be pulling the whole motor. Guess I will go ahead and go through the whole thing while it is out. I have to get my Chevy put back together and running before I can start on this bad boy so it will be sitting for the next couple of weeks or longer. Hoping I don't run into any more problems on the 6.2.
driver's side or passenger side? passenger side is a challenge but can be done. some heavy rubber bands holding up the head bolts in the valves will do the trick. if you have head studs, pulling the motor is required.

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
driver's side or passenger side? passenger side is a challenge but can be done. some heavy rubber bands holding up the head bolts in the valves will do the trick. if you have head studs, pulling the motor is required.

Drivers side, can't take the rear 2 head bolts all the way out. And if I get it out I would hate to try to put it back in without damaging the gasket. Have you taken the drivers side off while in the truck? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drivers side, can't take the rear 2 head bolts all the way out. And if I get it out I would hate to try to put it back in without damaging the gasket. Have you taken the drivers side off while in the truck? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
you must have sagging body mounts. it's a non-issue most of the time. once again, I will pull the bolts out as far as possible and then rubber band them to the valve springs. you are right, caution is the keyword.