New set of injectors, way to much black smoke.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After returning a pooched set of reman injectors to my Local International Dealer I picked up a brand new set of BBs and installed them today. First thing I noticed is how much black smoke she belches out of the tailpipe, a little haze I am used to and expect, but when I can black out the road behind me at WOT something is wrong.

Would to much timing create excessive black smoke?

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock pump settings, its only got 7000kms on it. I shall try retarding it a bit and see if that helps, hopfully i can get my hands on one of icanfixall meters so i can do it right now that i have a brand new healthy fuel system.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd advance it rather than retard it. New injectors will more than likely have a higher opening pressure than the ones you replaced. The IP will have to take a bit longer to build that higher pressure. That will retard the timing in itself. Plus, even new injectors can be bad. You may have one or two with a leak or a poor pattern that is causing the smoke as well.

Heath

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Would to much timing create excessive black smoke?

yes! i bumped up my timing some before the last rally to try compensating for my worn injection pump with new injectors on it. it cranked up the power some and suddenly i could smoke people out with no problem if i wanted to. getting to the timing clinic i found out i was running in the 14BTDC range when we should be in the 8.5 or so range. once backed down it cut the power some and the smoke was way down.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine bumped up due to a brand new pump and old injectors. I installed reman injectors in July and bumped the timing up due to the sup par preformance. I finally had a free day to take and get them pop tested and sure enough only 2/8 passed the test and those two only got a "fair" not a good overall report. I Just dont want to over advance it and there is not a single shop in the area with a timing meter.

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, looks like I stand corrected! Lol. That's why I spend so much time here and on FTE, I learn something new everyday!

Black dawg

Reaction score
advanced timing will cause black smoke. worn injectors need more injection lead because of slower combustion. if you set the timing by feel till it ran good with the old injectors, it could be at 12.5 or better. Nice new injectors will have good spray patterns and ignition will be earlier and shorter.

were the new ones tested?

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunetly they were not. I had a friend pick them up for me and I didnt think to ask him to get the shop to pop test them.
So black dawg, your saying I should try retarding the timing slightly? I want to make sure im on the same page before I adjust it the wrong way, I like to avoid touching those bottom bolts on the IP whenever possible.

Black dawg

Reaction score
if it has too much black smoke, move it back. how does the rattle sound?

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually sounds pretty healthy, doesn't sound like its going to rattle its self apart unless the old advance is on, then shes a noisy ****

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, in Abbotsford there are at least two places that will time the engine for you.
Partly Brian's (owned by Brian Penman)- small local HD mechanic has a shop just of King Road.

Further down towards the east side of Abbotsford at the McCullum turnoff (south side) there is another diesel place - BD Power

Both places can do the work for you with no problems.

HTH

mariner

IDI Diesel7.3

Ukrainian Power
Reaction score
I don't understand everyone on here... where i come from, you do everything you can to make your diesel pour out more coal.