New R&D injectors

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally swapped out the old injectors on 92 IDI with Justins injectors. Truck had been running rough, smoking and putrid smell for months. Some injectors had no copper washers and one had 2 of them. Took my time, clean out the injector cavity (or whatever you call it), they were really gummed up bad. Put new injector lines on from Accurate Diesel.
What a difference! No smoke, hardly a diesel smell from exhaust and very smooth. Never ran so good. This motivates me to keep going to keep the truck running and to continue the upgrades. I bought new lifters and rocker arms from Wes, next project.

Just wanted to give Justin at R&D compliments on the forum and recommend his products.

Thanks Justin.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the sounds of it it's running WAY more efficiently. Let us know if the fuel economy numbers jumped up when you get around to driving it a decent distance. I'm in the market for some injectors and R&D sounds like it's the way to go.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I didn't see the fuel consumption get any better but there is more power and very smooth. I just swapped out my speedometer 2 days ago and the odometer is working believe it or not. I will post my mpg this week.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m jealous you were able to get some. When I inquired about injectors and a pump, he told me that he was so busy building engines he couldn’t give me an ETA on availability.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I didn't see the fuel consumption get any better but there is more power and very smooth. I just swapped out my speedometer 2 days ago and the odometer is working believe it or not. I will post my mpg this week.
Just As an idea, if you have a smartphone then you can always use a GPS speedo/mileage outputs to help validate whatever the mechanical speedo/odometer is telling you.

Good luck and keep us posted. I’m also interested in installing some of Justin’s injectors.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just As an idea, if you have a smartphone then you can always use a GPS speedo/mileage outputs to help validate whatever the mechanical speedo/odometer is telling you.

Good luck and keep us posted. I’m also interested in installing some of Justin’s injectors.
I agree never assume the gauge in these trucks are accurate until you verify. I've had them accurate on one but not the other. (speedo is off by 10-15 but odometer is accurate or visa versa) I always try to use a GPS method or just the Google Maps/Apple Maps route I took to get exact mileage. Also use a speed calculator so you know the correct speed. I've become a stickler in the details of how certain mileage is calculated and also how to repeat the method.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you are a one man shop it is what it is. I also do all my own work, cant trust anyone for the precision I demand.
We are not Amazon

I respect the commitment to quality, especially when demand for work is high.

There’s only but so many hours in a day for one person to tackle it all. Hard to give people an exact date of a product’s availability under those constraints.

From my experience people tend to time out their builds in stages, and will want an idea of a timeline for their build. When they’ve got money burning a hole in their pocket, they’re ready to buy.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When you are a one man shop it is what it is. I also do all my own work, cant trust anyone for the precision I demand.
We are not Amazon
I was going to say something similar. A one man shop can only get so big. Wes has found that out. He's moved into a bigger shop, and was looking to hire at least one more employee after the first of the year (I think that was the hire date).

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know R&D moved into a new shop in 2022, which probably created a backlog of work during the downtime. I just thought it would be good to share that R&D seems to be focused on building custom engines vs. selling individual components right now. Not bashing Justin at all, I’m honestly glad that the few trustworthy vendors that we have are busy enough to keep doing what they do.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Justin once and he answered immediately and helped me with the parts I was working on, he ships quickly, and delivers a good product so as long as he’s busy doing IDI things more power to him! I just hope when I do need injectors he’s got them but we’ll see what happens!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I respect the commitment to quality, especially when demand for work is high.

There’s only but so many hours in a day for one person to tackle it all. Hard to give people an exact date of a product’s availability under those constraints.

From my experience people tend to time out their builds in stages, and will want an idea of a timeline for their build. When they’ve got money burning a hole in their pocket, they’re ready to buy.
I have people place the order for injectors, that gets them in line. And I build to order and can get them out in 3-5 days

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did order a set of your injectors Russ, and I’ll get a pump too as soon as I see them back in stock. I’m excited to see what it does for my engine.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be needed to get set up to rebuild injectors? I’m not interested in hearing the whole 100k dollar clean room yada yada..but injectors like ours..

Perhaps reading up on it, investing in a bit of equipment and small clean room? Pop tester..if one could do these style injectors found on old equipment I bet it could be profitable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online