New jewel has arrived. Promar 7.3.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Goose, I'm glad to see you are once again getting closer to finished the truck. I was hoping to see you at the Rally with your rig, but that is a ton of work in a short amount of time. You will have to come next year for sure.;Sweet The engine looks great by the way. Just a tip: if adding aftermarket gauges, add the senders to the head/block before putting it in the truck. Much, much easier with it on the stand.:D

Heath

Heath, don't count me out. I'm making good progress and you may see me there even if its for a day visit.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, don't count me out. I'm making good progress and you may see me there even if its for a day visit.

I certainly hope so. Shoot, it'd be nice if you could stay one or two nights so I could shoot the bull over a cold one around the fire.:cheers:

I hope you get it done in time. I forgot how much practice you've had lately at removing/installing these IDI's.:eek:;Poke

Heath

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I certainly hope so. Shoot, it'd be nice if you could stay one or two nights so I could shoot the bull over a cold one around the fire.:cheers:

I hope you get it done in time. I forgot how much practice you've had lately at removing/installing these IDI's.:eek:;Poke

Heath

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao Minus the turbo and exhaust, 2 hrs by myself for the extraction of the old engine:rolleyes: The practice is getting a little rediculous;p

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Promar may not honor the warranty with a turbo....but it will be a moot point because the N/A blocks are built plenty tough to handle mild to moderate turbocharging anyway. Nothing will break unless they made a mistake on assembly or you do something stupid in the break in process. If you chose to play with the big power makers then you are going out on a limb. The block and bottom end can take it but who knows about everything else? My gut feeling is don't go over 14-15 psi until you can break it in and maybe afford some studs and keep the EGTs under 1000 degrees for sustained operation (pre turbo) and you will not hurt that block any. Your luck is DUE to change!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
late night

Ten minutes till three eastern time and the shop is just closing for the night;Really Made some good progress on the intake and fuel system after collecting one of my blown engines from my cousin's garage. The timing gear cover on this engine had a lot less pitting and erosion on it. Everyone likes a picture so here it is.;Sweet

Attachments

• late night.jpg
    late night.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 141

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
looks good! cant wait till its installed! wish i could afford one of these for my f150 LOL

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
its for sale! got it posted on 4 different websites. i have a 95 gmc now just need to update my sig. i cant wait to get back in an idi! my gasser experience is done unless i get a jeep then it will get an idi :D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your gonna like that Promar engine, just break it in like they recommend. Put one in my 90 in 07. After a 1200 mile breakin, went to S.Carolina to pickup the truck below. Two injectors went to hell, rolled coal I mean really rolled it for 600 miles thru NC, VI, and WV mountains. When I got home, checked the oil and found about a gallon of diesel in the crankcase, pulled the engine and checked the bearings, good as new. Got about 45K on it now, runs like a Deer, no don't mean John. Good luck with your's. I would recommend Promar to anyone as I have several times. Hey Brad, didn't know you are a dealer for them, will keep that in mind. There price is right, and shipping in a pod is great and free.

You must be registered for see images

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ten minutes till three eastern time and the shop is just closing for the night;Really Made some good progress on the intake and fuel system after collecting one of my blown engines from my cousin's garage. The timing gear cover on this engine had a lot less pitting and erosion on it. Everyone likes a picture so here it is.;Sweet

Sweet Goose. Getting closer buddy. Can't wait to see it in the truck......... at the Rally.:D

Heath

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man she sure is pretty and clean. I feel like a surgeon needing to scrub in to even touch it.:eek: This is as it came, right off the crate.

As Garth would say on Wayne's World - "That gives me a funny feeling"

Shwing!

Those pictures of the new diesel, are so.... Beautiful. I'm taking down my Farrah Fawcett in red swimsuit poster just to put these on the wall.

Attachments

• Farrah_Fawcett_iconic_pinup_1976.jpg
    Farrah_Fawcett_iconic_pinup_1976.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 77

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
As Garth would say on Wayne's World - "That gives me a funny feeling"

Shwing!

Those pictures of the new diesel, are so.... Beautiful. I'm taking down my Farrah Fawcett in red swimsuit poster just to put these on the wall.

:rotflmao:rotflmao I like a good Wayne's World reference.:thumbsup:

As you can see in my center console thread I got a little side tracked tonight:rolleyes: oh well. I did manage to get the timing cover on, water pump and lower radiator hose housing. I carefully got the little stainless ball out of my old engine and installed it along with the t-stat housing. When I realized I forgot the t-stat I decided to call it a night:eek:LOL Yeah, I'm tired:idiot:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Goose... Don't feel bad about leaving something out while sealing up the engine... A member here some time back just finished installing his intake manifold and started up the engine. Got it running ok and turned off the engine... Looking at his work bench he sees the fingers that hold the lifter dog bones in place.....:eek::sly That was a moment to remember. When I built my first idi I just got the oil pan on and there sits the nut and washer for the oil pump pickup tube. You know the nut for the main bearing bolt about half way down the main webs.... Yes... that was a messy second time pan installation with all that copper rtv mess on everything. Never did have any leaks in that pan to block seal with the rtv..... P.S. Don't ever use a cork or rubber pan gasket... they will leak on you for sure.... Even the factory never used them. they used rtv... Why a gasket supplier sells something we don't use nor need is way beyond my thoughts.... Other than its a sourse of revenue to them....:dunno

Last edited: