New jewel has arrived. Promar 7.3.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
double check the oil supply galley before you install that thing. It cant be too clean.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Goose what are you doing with your current engine thats in that truck?

I have a slew of stuff to get rid of for sure. I will keep some essentials like oil coolers, fuel filter bases, glowplugs, vaccum pumps and such. The blocks, heads, crancks and such will have to go. After this experience I will probably start out with a Promar engine next time. I would have been thousands of dollars ahead if I had just gotten a new engine out of the gate.;Really

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I hope you don't think this is a "new engine". About all we can buy new is the heads and pistons. I feel all the available rods for the na and turbo engines are all rebuilt. Surely we can't buy a new block and that sucks big time. Forgot... I have two new cams with the thrust and gears on them... Paid $99.00 for one of them and got the other free....:angel: I owe the gear on that one but its all good. How was Barnette Performance with their engines. At one time they offered a stroker kit and three differant stages of porting...Glad to know all 8 cylinders are sleeved and if this is a turbo engine you have the turbo rods and pistons in it. Looking at the rods I can tell you how to determine if they are actually a turbo rod just by looking at them...:sly

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I hope you don't think this is a "new engine". About all we can buy new is the heads and pistons. I feel all the available rods for the na and turbo engines are all rebuilt. Surely we can't buy a new block and that sucks big time. Forgot... I have two new cams with the thrust and gears on them... Paid $99.00 for one of them and got the other free....:angel: I owe the gear on that one but its all good. How was Barnette Performance with their engines. At one time they offered a stroker kit and three differant stages of porting...Glad to know all 8 cylinders are sleeved and if this is a turbo engine you have the turbo rods and pistons in it. Looking at the rods I can tell you how to determine if they are actually a turbo rod just by looking at them...:sly

I am aware it is not new. It is a non turbo version as I had no turbo core to provide. You can see a bit of what Promar does on this link

http://www.promarengine.com/menuloader.htm

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Promar and Barnette are the two shops I really like for what they do. Some have had issues with promar but everyone can say something good or bad about anything. I know Jaspers ahs had some issues with sleeves dropping down in the cylinders. Thats just unacceptable from any shop. A properly installed sleeve will not drop in the cylinders if its done correctly. The shop needs to make the sleeve 2 thousands larger. then cool it in liquid nitrogen and drop it in. Then some all thread and a couple of strongbacks to hold it in place till it normalizes. Thats easy.. But some just put the sleeve in the freezer and try to shove it in will red loctite.... WRONG...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goose, I'm glad to see you are once again getting closer to finishing the truck. I was hoping to see you at the Rally with your rig, but that is a ton of work in a short amount of time. You will have to come next year for sure.;Sweet The engine looks great by the way. Just a tip: if adding aftermarket gauges, add the senders to the head/block before putting it in the truck. Much, much easier with it on the stand.:D

Heath

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svttim

Members online