New IDI owner

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is this the 3G model.
This is a 1G alternator. The 100amp sticker on the side gives it away. The 3G is (I believe) 130+ amps. Your coolant level is a little bit low. I try to keep mine within 1 1/2" from the bottom of the filler neck. Maybe that's right, maybe not. It's what I do. The temp going being higher on the highway is normal. Your engine is turning a much higher RPM and the extra slip of the trans will put extra heat into the cooler which is located in the bottom of the radiator. You will put quite a bit of extra heat into your system by running the A/C. That's how it's designed. The factory gauges are poor at best. The best thing is to use a good aftermarket gauge set. I prefer mechanical, others prefer electric. That's your choice.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a 1G alternator. The 100amp sticker on the side gives it away. The 3G is (I believe) 130+ amps. Your coolant level is a little bit low. I try to keep mine within 1 1/2" from the bottom of the filler neck. Maybe that's right, maybe not. It's what I do. The temp going being higher on the highway is normal. Your engine is turning a much higher RPM and the extra slip of the trans will put extra heat into the cooler which is located in the bottom of the radiator. You will put quite a bit of extra heat into your system by running the A/C. That's how it's designed. The factory gauges are poor at best. The best thing is to use a good aftermarket gauge set. I prefer mechanical, others prefer electric. That's your choice.

I would like to put in an aftermarket coolant temperature gauge. Where is a good port for the temp sender? It took almost a gallon of coolant to fill the radiator to the top of the neck. I'll keep an eye on what it spits out when I drive it tomorrow.

I will look into an alternator swap. Mine works fine but I prefer a newer style with integrated regulator etc...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I had mine on top of the water pump, but I changed it to the factory location. It's on the engine block in front of the driver's side head. I tend to agree with the others who say that there was a reason that Ford put it there so that's where it should go. since I hate non-reading gauges, I added a piece of wire onto the factory sender wire and mounted the factory sender on top of the water pump. I don't care how accurate it is, just that it moves the gauge.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet that’s your cab mounts squeaking

I was thinking that as well, because it seems like its coming from one side or the other. I'm guessing the rubber has compressed over the years and the bolt is no longer tight. I'll squirt them with WD40 tomorrow and see what happens.

Here's some pics of the ones on my 91 next to the new poly ones for reference. This is without the weight of the cab on them, I'm guessing they must have been much worse with that weight on them.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is about what I see on my bushings. It rained tonight so I did not get a chance to crawl around on the concrete to look at them.

Hate to say this but i'm a little wary of poly bushings that I cant grease. I had a few poly suspension bushings on my last jeep, used the included synthetic grease per directions to install. 2 years and those poly bushing started squeaking.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is about what I see on my bushings. It rained tonight so I did not get a chance to crawl around on the concrete to look at them.

Hate to say this but i'm a little wary of poly bushings that I cant grease. I had a few poly suspension bushings on my last jeep, used the included synthetic grease per directions to install. 2 years and those poly bushing started squeaking.

It's your truck and I certainly won't talk you out of it, but mine have been in for a year now with no noise. These are cab mount bushings, remember, they don't move like the suspension does. I was considering rubber but I have a crew cab which is a lot more weight on those tiny bushings.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Added coolant and it runs very cool now.. huge difference. The AC blows nice and cold with the heater core bypassed.

Squeaks were the cab mounts. I hosed them down with WD-40 and now squeak free. Going to tighten the bolts at some point. Mine are squished down but they arent cracked or broken.

Suspension/springs and front end will be done in the next week, ZF5 swap is the next big thing.. think I have a handle on everything else.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're really coming along with your new truck.

Its at least reliable now and has good cold AC. That is something to be proud of. Still rides like crap and steering inputs are more of a suggestion but the new shocks/springs and axle pivot bushings should fix that right up.

Question about fueling, I don't see a vent hose and get a lot of foaming. Is this normal?

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I am going to sell this truck soon. But only to get another IDI. This truck has been great for doing stuff around town and its in good shape, but based on where I live I need something with overdrive. I pretty much have to hop on the interstate to go anywhere. The C6 is not really happy above 55 mph. I looked into doing a ZF5 swap but it seems I would be better off selling this as a good running truck, and buying another one with the ZF5 already in it.

So I am on the hunt for a nice IDI with 4x4 and ZF5, budget around 4k

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I sold my truck today, and I kept the nice weatherguard toolbox. I figured it would take awhile to sell, but it sold in less than 24 hours.

I have a deal on a 1989 4x4 regular cab 7.3 idi with a banks turbo kit, picking it up Friday. ZF5 transmission :)

The tach and some gauges don't work. Any idea on what to check first?