Need to repair some plastic trim

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I'm working on restoring my interior to hopefully almost original condition. I've got some color matched dye that i'm going to be using on all of the old faded plastic.

Anyway, any advice on what the best way would be to repair this? I don't have the piece that broke, it's long gone. Somehow or another I have to build a new piece.

I was thinking maybe some epoxy putty, not sure how I'll texture it though... Are there any other good ways to build new plastic?

You must be registered for see images attach

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my motorcycle plastics I always used epoxy putty on the back side of the break. But with the piece missing you'll probably be better off looking in a parts yard for a used one or order a new one from LMC trucks or rockauto.com

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What is that anyways? Door panel?
I can't remember where I saw it, maybe here. But someone had made a little pattern tool for it.
Personally I absolutely hate the textured panels and dash. Think I'll end up sending it all smooth.
But anyways contour a backer out of foam or something, then even you just lay whatever on top.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly even if you had the missing piece the joining line will show up. Now making another piece will be tuff but try making a block that fits behind this broken piece. Then find some fake leather material. Make up a putty and press into the void. Lay the fake leather on top of the putty to make the textured look. Practice this on other parts before you try doing it on the panel.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: why wouldn't you just replace the interior piece? I would think they are pretty common and cheap, but maybe I'm missing something. Although I have successfully painted interior parts before (using the correct paint is the key) IMHO I wouldn't glue plastic interior parts unless I really had to. I had the dark grey interior in my old 1992 F250 and the driver's side interior panel was pretty beat up but after scouring the local yards, I got a super nice one for $15.

Good luck, whichever way you end up going.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Just wondering: why wouldn't you just replace the interior piece? I would think they are pretty common and cheap, but maybe I'm missing something. Although I have successfully painted interior parts before (using the correct paint is the key) IMHO I wouldn't glue plastic interior parts unless I really had to. I had the dark grey interior in my old 1992 F250 and the driver's side interior panel was pretty beat up but after scouring the local yards, I got a super nice one for $15.

Good luck, whichever way you end up going.

A good condition 1992 van is, as far as I can tell, nearly impossible to find. I have come across maybe one other van of same style interior and it was far more trashed than mine.

There are one or two new ones on ebay for $200+ Pretty sure they're the wrong color so would still have to paint them too.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good condition 1992 van is, as far as I can tell, nearly impossible to find. I have come across maybe one other van of same style interior and it was far more trashed than mine.

There are one or two new ones on ebay for $200+ Pretty sure they're the wrong color so would still have to paint them too.

Gotcha, didn't realize it was a van. Never thought about van interior, I bet it is very tough to find decent interior parts.

Again, good luck ;Sweet

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to fix it, but I know it can be fixed. I just found a repair in my daily driver passenger door panel. It appears they filled a hole and retextured the patch. Looked really good. Only way I found it was a crack in the panel that just showed up. I'm guessing the seatbelt got shut in the door again.

Maybe something like this?
http://www.eastwood.com/vinyl-and-dashboard-repair-kit-with-sealant-foam.html

RedTruck

Reaction score
I used this stuff to repair some plastic seat trim:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-0-85-fl-oz-Plastic-Epoxy-1360788/100371824

It was recommended to me by the previous owner of my van. It just so happened that these pieces were black on my application. When I was done I went over the seam with a sharpie. Not perfect, but not bad either. Really can't tell unless you're looking

Good luck and let us know how your work goes,

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel