Need some advice

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
Hey guys i recently picked up another IDI. The fuel system is original and not in great shape with a 180,000 on the clock. It smokes gray quite a bit. My question is if i can safely drive it over the mountain passes back to my hometown without hurting anything. Living in the dorms i dont have a garage and i only brought a basic set of hand tools. I have an IP i picked up for a spare last year. So i was just wondering if it was safe for me to drive it over Vail pass with leaky injectors and retarded timing. Where i can work on it with a proper set of tools. I have enough tools that i could adjust the timin if that would help any.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I drove my donor truck almost 200 miles with a leaking fuel filter (baggie zip tied to keep the fuel from hitting the exhaust), 4 bald rear tires, smoking on decel like a mother and registration that was out for 6 years. And half of those miles were in CA! If I got pulled over I would have just ran away from it!

:rotflmao

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I would advance it a dimes width, the truck is surely retarded the way you describe it, know how to do it?

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
i think i understand how to. Just loosen the three bolts on the injector pump side and turn the pump towards the passenger side and re-tighten the bolts. Is that right.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Lets get the terminology right here, its three nuts, stay away from any bolts, just trying to save you some trouble, I learned from the school of hard knocks. Yes turn towards the passenger side. Do it while the engine is off.

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
ok sounds good. I looked at the static timing marks and looks like the po already advanced it about half a width of a dime.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What I like to do is use a center punch to make a mark in the joint between the pump and the housing it bolts up to. Then as you move the pump the mark becomes two half circles. That way you can se how far you actually moved the pump... Plus you can easily return it back to where you started...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online

No members online now.