NEED NEW STARTER

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy Boy's, I am going to be buying a new starter for the old girl, any idea's or suggestions on what brand to buy? What brand do you have on your truck's? What kind of ballpark fiqure should i be lookin at to pay? The truck is a 92 F-250, 7.3 Old starter has only been on for 2 yrs. I dont know the brand it was,fellow i bought truck from put it on.

7.3shrk

I just hit Kragen - about 150 or so, autolite starter, yeah not great, but it came with a lifetime warranty.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
You want a gear reduction starter (Mitshubiti or Denso) stay away from the AC Delco ones (Direct Drive).

94johnh

Reaction score
I got mine from fordpartsonline.com , I have been happy with it.

john

soupdog

Reaction score
got mine at checker auto,,,lifetime warranty for 176.00 ,,,its a mitsubishi, they also beat any competitors prices,,,so if yu find one cheaper they will match and go lower,,,am in south dakota though but i imagine there are checker auto parts stores nation wide

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Travis said. Don't bother with the direct-drive starters.

I got a Mitsubishi starter with a lifetime warranty from Pep Boys. Cost about $200, but the lifetime warranty's been used twice now (my own fault, for cranking the engine too long), so it's WELL worth it IMHO. Just make sure to keep the receipt :)

In case you haven't seen a gear-reduction starter and don't know the difference, here is a picture:

You must be registered for see images attach

Note that the motor is off-set by about an inch. A direct-drive starter is just a standard barrel. :)

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I got a Mitsubishi starter with a lifetime warranty from Pep Boys. Cost about $200, but the lifetime warranty's been used twice now (my own fault, for cranking the engine too long), so it's WELL worth it IMHO. Just make sure to keep the receipt :)

3 starters in 3 weeks from Pep Boys. I wasnt cranking it to long. All three times I came out to the truck turned the key and nothng, not even a click. Fourth one is still going strong.

I don't think it matters where you buy it from. There all alledgedly rebuilt. It depends on you getting the right type. Anything rebuilt is a crap shoot and as long as the company is going to stand behind the warranty then all is well.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score

3 starters in 3 weeks from Pep Boys. I wasnt cranking it to long. All three times I came out to the truck turned the key and nothng, not even a click. Fourth one is still going strong.

I don't think it matters where you buy it from. There all alledgedly rebuilt. It depends on you getting the right type. Anything rebuilt is a crap shoot and as long as the company is going to stand behind the warranty then all is well.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you there. I was recommending Pep Boys because of the warranty; I'm not sure if anyone else has the same warranty or not.

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you there. I was recommending Pep Boys because of the warranty; I'm not sure if anyone else has the same warranty or not.

I seldom buy the 'Lifetime Warranty' rebuilds as they, in my humble opinion, are just a selling point. AS stated before-it failed 3 times....

When it involves starters and alternators I ALWAYS seek out a rebuild shop and have mine rebuilt, even if it is more inconvenient than the local _____zone/Boys shop. Reason being you will get a superior product for your money. An independant rebuild shop needs your business and will work for it, while the shops that rebuild for 'The Boys and ___zone' will always use the cheapest way out and rely on the Lifetime Warranty to resolve any issues.
I suppose though if you do not value your time or inconveince then the 'Lifetime Warranty' is for you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The "lifetime warranty " sellers are really saying this... You pay for it once... But you will be replacing it over and over and over... Just as posted above.... I really have better things to do with my time than replacing some pos I bught for the warranty. I deal with a mom & pop rebuilder thats helped me out for over 30 years with never a "warranty failure". They are that good at what they build.. I realize this shop can't work for all but if needed I will post the name.....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like you Gary, I find the small personal shops do the best work. Lancaster Starter and Alternator has never let me down on anything I've brought to them, even some more obscure stuff like hydraulic pump motors. The big rebuilders know your not going to get in their face if you have a problem. These smaller guys are betting their reputation on each repair.

sassyrel

Reaction score
and guess what--even if you are replacing the starter yourself,which costs time, if you are hiring it done--youll pay the labor three times. which just made the bargain stores a non bargain--i rebuild also, so i know what im putting in mine---and have rebuilt for others