Need a gear

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing my truck lacks is a lower gear for backing in my fiver. Got 411's in the rear.

Is there any transfer case that will bolt on to the Z5, like from a gaser? or does it have to be a diesel Z5er?

Don't want to make it a 4x4 just use the lower gear for backing in the fiver.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transfer cases are the same between gasser and diesel, but 2wd and 4x4 transmissions are not - in other words unless you do a divorced setup you'll need a diesel-specific 4x4 transmission.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A brownie box would work better for your application plus give you double OD if you could find one with the right ratios. It wouldn't be much harder than what you are talking about here. You probably want one with at least a 2:1 underdrive and hopefully an O/D also.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
A little late but that is exactly what I was going to suggest, if You going on all the trouble to install a tc for the lower gear might as well install a brownie-box and get more out o it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think the US gear over-under drive units work in reverse but the Gear Vendors don't. The US Gear unit is getting hard to find these days... The company posted a statement they were only catering to the race merket... But gees... A trans is a trans...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile there are plenty of brownies out there, and you can get that done for about the same it would cost to mount a divorced transfer case and probably a small fraction of the cost of a GV and really low gears.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just thinking outside the box here, but all Suzuki samurai's have a divorced transfer case, they also have mounting flanges so it shouldnt be hard to make something work. i know a few people that offroad the hell out of them and never have a problem with the transfer case. just seems that they should work just fine for what you want and be compact enough to mount it anywhere you want, even in place of the carrier bearing

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They come up on ebay from time to time. I found one in a local private medium duty truck wrecking yard. You wouldn't want to spend much over 400-500 for one. I got one for $350 including all the linkages, shift tower, mounts etc. The 5531 and 5831 are what you need for this size truck. The 6000 and 7000 series get kinda big.

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transfer Case

I have a 205 Divorced transfer case out of a 76 Ford F-250. It is still in the truck. Comes with intermediate driveshaft (between tranny and transfer) shifter and all linkage. $150
Email me at [email protected] if interested. Located in Newbern, TN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online