mysterious massive oil blowout!! LONG

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
Gotta call from by boss about 2 days ago, he was driving clients around when his 01 7.3 started leaking oil and loosing power. He pulled over, shut it off and call AAA, and I can to pick up our clients. there were oil drips to the truck about about 2-4 quarts under the truck... I feared it being a rear main seal.. Pop open the hood and there is oil all over the valley... I figured it was something blew out in the HPOP system or reservoir. Got the truck home, put 2 gals in it and filled the HPOP reservoir. Cranked a lot, but started. I looked and see no obvious leaks...shut it off .... start again, cranks for 15 sec before it fires... let it warm up for 10 min while watching it. look under the truck and can see a steady stream of oil coming out where the tranny meets the engine. Any ideas... I'd like to have a clue of what i'm getting into before i tear everything off so I can find the leak.... Is there an oil plug or something towards the back of the valley that is prone to leak? Also.. if something is leaking in the valley, where would it drain out on there engines?

Thanks,
Mike

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pull the cover off the motor and look at the hpop and lines.there are 2 big oil plugs on each head,1 in the front and 1 in the rear.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Also.. if something is leaking in the valley, where would it drain out on there engines?

Thanks,
Mike

Everything that leaks in the valley drains out the back behind the flywheel. Looks just like a leaky rear main seal.

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
pull the cover off the motor and look at the hpop and lines.there are 2 big oil plugs on each head,1 in the front and 1 in the rear.

I'm don't have a ton of experience working with 7.3s. Which cover are you talking about, and where exactly is the HPOP, I believe its below the reservoir, but not completely sure. Does anybody have any pics or diagrams

Thanks,
Mike

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are talking about the plastic cover held on with 2 nuts. Under there is the HPOP under the oil reservoir. More than likely one of the oil lines has gone *****. Should be able to see where the leak is. The valley pan has a drain in the rear just like any 6.9 or 7.3.

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
They are talking about the plastic cover held on with 2 nuts. Under there is the HPOP under the oil reservoir. More than likely one of the oil lines has gone *****. Should be able to see where the leak is. The valley pan has a drain in the rear just like any 6.9 or 7.3.

Nothing obvious on the HPOP or any of the lines... Washed everything out and let the truck run for a little, can't see any leaks, but the valley is filling up with oil... gonna pull some more stuff off to see if i can find the leak

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
something on the hpop is leaking.the hpop gasket,ipr oring,rear cover oring,an oring on one of the lines or the plug in the rear.

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
Couldn't get the link to work... But progress has been made. Cleaned everything off and had a few people looking while the engine was reving about 2500. If i look at the fuel filter housing there is a white electrical plug on the back driver side, below that and to the left (looking from the front of the truck) is where the leak is.. all I can see is something held in by a snap ring, and a stream of oil squirting from it... I will have to pull it out to get to it and see whats up... but it seems wierd to me that there would be a pressurized oil source behind something held in with a snap ring... tried to get some pics buy my camera died, gonna go recharge it and take a lunch break...

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
linkworks for me.:dunno

anyways the snap ring you see holds the rear cover inside the HPOP.there is an oring on that cover.i do believe you can reace it yourself.not sure what size oring it is though but ill see if i can find some info for you

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
Link says I have to be a member there which I am not..

UPDATE... after finding some online diagrams and pics, went and got a mirror, and the leak is defiantly coming out of the bolt above where i thought it was. So whats the BEST way to seal this, take out bolt chase threads and blue locktite?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats not a bolt.its a plug.take it out and replace the o ring on it.