My new diesel

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After much research and debate I brought a new diesel home.

You must be registered for see images attach

What was billed as a running truck had no keys and a bone dry fuel system. Tweakers.

So I basically bought a non running uhaul truck for cheap, and using knowledge I got mostly from here made the first diesel motor I'd ever touched run.

Drove it to it's new home at 62 MPH. Which is all the faster it goes.

Thanks to all the people that make informative posts.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Nice on board air there! Maybe swap out the IP for a truck one to get more speed/rpm out of it? Then lower it and slap a flat bed on it!

:peelout :D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yup, that beast will be governed at 2800 rpm's. Put a different govenor spring or IP on there, and get 3300-3800 rpm's. Or go all out and put a govenor spring out of a 6.2 in it LOL.

2800/62 = 45.16 rpm's per mph. Another 500 rpms gets you another 11 mph (3300 rpms) and 3800 rpms gives you another 11 mph over the 3300 rpms ;Sweet. So 73mph/84mph respectivly.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rented one of those once. You'd think the air pump is for the brakes, but its not. It's got that back end lowering option so that the van floor is closer to the ground. Those motors have a Clark 5 speed with no overdrive, and every gear is low. LOL Truely a classic though. The air filter and radiator are HUGE compared to what Ford gives us. What are your plans for it? Congratulations.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
wow, is that really an IDI hidden in there?:D

so what are your plans for it? hauler, camper, mad max wreaker?

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice on board air there! Maybe swap out the IP for a truck one to get more speed/rpm out of it? Then lower it and slap a flat bed on it!

:peelout :D
No flatbed, it's going to be a toterhome for my Jeep.
It will probably get a dura lift pump, because I never, ever want to experience repriming the fuel system again.

Yup, that beast will be governed at 2800 rpm's. Put a different govenor spring or IP on there, and get 3300-3800 rpm's. Or go all out and put a govenor spring out of a 6.2 in it LOL.

2800/62 = 45.16 rpm's per mph. Another 500 rpms gets you another 11 mph (3300 rpms) and 3800 rpms gives you another 11 mph over the 3300 rpms ;Sweet. So 73mph/84mph respectivly.
School me on the governor springs. If it's something external sure, if it's in the IP, no way.

It's got hydroboost brakes with gigantic disc brakes at all four corners, air ride in the back.

The plus is that everything you see in the engie compartment is basicaly new. It had a drop in 7.3 35K miles ago, new radiator, heater core, glow plug harness/plugs, belts, cooling hoses, mostly everything. I wish there was an easy way for me to post the service history.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Govenor springs are internal. You can pull the pump off of any 6.9/7.3 IDI truck and get a higher govenered rpm just by swapping the pump itself in if you want to go that route. Otherwise, I would just hold it at the govenor and sit back and enjoy the ride ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I see the valve cover sticker telling us thats a Dealers Diesel Rebuild... Nice engine. I'm thinking the wheels are 10 lugs. If they are 8 lugs you probably can get a differant set of gears for the rear. Then you will be able to lower the max revs going down the road and be doing it faster too. About chnging the govener spring... Its not that tuff a job but for the first time have someone walk you thru it. Removing the top cover on the injection pump can cause the engine to run way past the govener settings if you place the cover wrong. I think Mel posted a differant way of setting the top cover. Something about having power to the solenoid so it can only fit one way.... I CRS these days....

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No flatbed, it's going to be a toterhome for my Jeep.
It will probably get a dura lift pump, because I never, ever want to experience repriming the fuel system again.

Im hoping you know we are talking of replacing the injector pump not the lift pump right? Im sure you know,but just making sure.
And yes the governor springs are in the injector pump, I would just find an inj. pump off a pickup, then you would be good to go.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not messing with it, I thought it was internal to the pump. The service records show this pump was installed 20K miles ago and timed. It runs great, just at 62. It's probably better for mileage anyway.

I commented about the Facet pump because he sells them, and before I drove it home I spent 3 or 4 hours in a Uhaul parking lot getting fuel to the IP and getting it to fire. All the diesel had been stolen. I went up there expecting a running truck, and had called earlier in the week to make sure it was.

Surprise surprise when there were no keys for it and I was told it hadn't ran in "a while".
I was making memories from day one, bad ones.

icanfixall said:
I see the valve cover sticker telling us thats a Dealers Diesel Rebuild... Nice engine. I'm thinking the wheels are 10 lugs. If they are 8 lugs you probably can get a differant set of gears for the rear. Then you will be able to lower the max revs going down the road and be doing it faster too.

Is diesel dealers top notch? I was going to try and find some numbers and look them up. I am total diesel newb. This is the first I've ever touched.

It's supposed to have 4.33 gears. I suspect I got one with 5.xx something. The speedo reads 75, but it does 62, paced with a car for a while. There's no place in it to hook up the GPS yet. It shares wheels with old UPS trucks I think, 10 lug. I need to investigate that some more, I need a spare wheel and tire.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
not sure if UPS uses the same wheels as the fedex trucks but my buddy and i bought one for parts and he used the wheels off of it on his s1600 toter.

Complete with kitchen and bath! Built to be as comfy as a rv at a fraction of the price and the best part is the ease of serviceability.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know that the fedex trucks may use the same wheels. I'm not building a complete bath and such. The goal is minimum space to make a kitchenette basically. I'm still trying to retain the full "uhaul" utility.

I see 20 inch steel wheels and NDT military tires in your future...that'd be an awesome toter!

I don't think they'd fit in the rear, especially with the bags dropped. There's a cool project with a deuce on pirate along those lines.