My new diesel

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
I rented one of those once. You'd think the air pump is for the brakes, but its not..

Funny i was looking at the copper tubing on the pump thinking ":eek: you would never see that on a newer air brake system" i guess you you didn't back then to LOL

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny i was looking at the copper tubing on the pump thinking ":eek: you would never see that on a newer air brake system" i guess you you didn't back then to LOL

yep, that big guy is just for the air ride system. It's going to get another tank and some QD's in the box and along the sides so I can have engine driven OBA for tools/jack/tire filling.

Thoughts on WMO? It's got a 40 gallon tank, if I pour 10 gallons of filtered WMO in at each fill up it should still run ok right? That's $40 a tank I'm not spending. COnsidering it's going to get 9 or 10 MPG loaded I'm looking to cut cost per mile down at least a little bit. Obviously I've got the space to haul a 55 gallon drum pretty easily. :D

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, that big guy is just for the air ride system. It's going to get another tank and some QD's in the box and along the sides so I can have engine driven OBA for tools/jack/tire filling.

Thoughts on WMO? It's got a 40 gallon tank, if I pour 10 gallons of filtered WMO in at each fill up it should still run ok right? That's $40 a tank I'm not spending. COnsidering it's going to get 9 or 10 MPG loaded I'm looking to cut cost per mile down at least a little bit. Obviously I've got the space to haul a 55 gallon drum pretty easily. :D

running wmo a 25% will be know problem at all

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
running wmo a 25% will be know problem at all

what should it be filtered to before going into the tank. I should just start searching the alternative fuels forum eh?

I see some guys running 50/50 #2 and WMO, but I'm not sure I'm that brave.

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what should it be filtered to before going into the tank. I should just start searching the alternative fuels forum eh?

I see some guys running 50/50 #2 and WMO, but I'm not sure I'm that brave.

I filter it down to 5 microns but there is about a thousand different answers on that topic. In my front tank is 25% wmo for start up and warm up, and my back tank is 50% to 80% depending on the temp

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filter it down to 5 microns but there is about a thousand different answers on that topic. In my front tank is 25% wmo for start up and warm up, and my back tank is 50% to 80% depending on the temp

This will be used mostly during the summer to tote my Jeep around, so I may run 50/50. I guess that I can find a tank to put on the drivers side to give me more capacity, but I was considering using that tank as holding for the WMO and plumbing the filters/water separators underneath and running an electric pump to the diesel tank. I would not plumb it into my fuel system, just use it to hold 40-50 gallons of WMO to add to my #2 tank.

I think I read the stock fuel filter is down to 2 micron, so I would want to filter the WMO down to at least that so I don't plug up the fuel filter in the truck so quickly.

Running at 50/50 would get me a net MPG number of 20 MPG of paid for diesel. That's a pretty big incentive in a big box truck.

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will be used mostly during the summer to tote my Jeep around, so I may run 50/50. I guess that I can find a tank to put on the drivers side to give me more capacity, but I was considering using that tank as holding for the WMO and plumbing the filters/water separators underneath and running an electric pump to the diesel tank. I would not plumb it into my fuel system, just use it to hold 40-50 gallons of WMO to add to my #2 tank.

I think I read the stock fuel filter is down to 2 micron, so I would want to filter the WMO down to at least that so I don't plug up the fuel filter in the truck so quickly.

Running at 50/50 would get me a net MPG number of 20 MPG of paid for diesel. That's a pretty big incentive in a big box truck.

maybe on your truck it is a 2 micron but on mine it is a 10-12 micron rating (3217 or 3417)

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my friend I work with got me started on the wmo thing he runs 80% all summer even on start up. He's been doing it for 4 years so far so good, not to mention he doesn't even filter it, but he changes his filter every week or so. So you would probably be ok running 50/50 but I would experiment with your truck as some act different then others

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe on your truck it is a 2 micron but on mine it is a 10-12 micron rating (3217 or 3417)

I might be wrong then. So 5 micron is better than the stock filter and probably good enough. This thing might see a whopping 2K miles a year or so, unless we take it out west, but it does have to be dead nuts reliable and it will do all of those 2K miles with a 4K pound Jeep in the back and all of our gear.

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be wrong then. So 5 micron is better than the stock filter and probably good enough. This thing might see a whopping 2K miles a year or so, unless we take it out west, but it does have to be dead nuts reliable and it will do all of those 2K miles with a 4K pound Jeep in the back and all of our gear.
I think mel (agmen) only filters to 10 micron once i build my nicer filter set up I'll be filtering down to 1 micron but that's probably overkill. are you coming to moab? I would probably just go with 50/50 if it will run it well and enjoy the ride

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one my buddy has has an air ride seat also, lot of compressor for just that. Lots of old air brake trucks had copper line on the compressor discharge, but it is much thicker than regular stuff. Actually has a dot spec on it.

Also that oil supply line running next to the manifold is bad news, it will cook shut and smoke the compressor, AND the bolts that mount the comp. to the head break off regularly, fabbing another strut to help hold the comp. head is a good idea,tie it to the oposite side of the engine somehow.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also that oil supply line running next to the manifold is bad news, it will cook shut and smoke the compressor, AND the bolts that mount the comp. to the head break off regularly, fabbing another strut to help hold the comp. head is a good idea,tie it to the oposite side of the engine somehow.

if you think that's bad you should see the rigged up fuel line I made in the parking lot to drive it home on.

It needs some love for sure. I hope to get out to the barn this weekend and get started on the cleanup and the mechanicals.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think mel (agmen) only filters to 10 micron ...

This is true. Remember, the decision to burn WMO is a financial one. You WILL need a new IP sooner, then if you ran streight #2, but the money you save will allow you to buy that IP and have plenty left over. ;Really

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is true. Remember, the decision to burn WMO is a financial one. You WILL need a new IP sooner, then if you ran streight #2, but the money you save will allow you to buy that IP and have plenty left over. ;Really

For the amount of mileage it will see the new IP may never happen, I'll take the short term gains of 20 MPG (net)

Also, the Uhaul records show an IP installed recently, so it's got a fresh IP in it. I'm going to start gathering the bits to filter it and we'll just carry a drum in the cargo area and a hand pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online