my intercooler install 92+

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aww I see what you did...and that is a good way only thing I dont like is how low yours sits. and your bottom brackets I would have put on the core support also. but you installed it right side up where mine is upside down and no cutting requied on latch either...but you did a good install. where are you sitting at egt wise at WOT? how much boost - ,

Deib

Reaction score
Upside down? Is that what you crazy kids are doing nowadays? Now it makes a lot more sense about the problems you are running into.
Mine is mounted entirely to the radiator support. It is lower but still doesnt hang below the radiator support, it is on a psd so boost doesn`t compare I am way over 30, but I do 100 degree drop normal driving. It really pays off on long hard pulls. That is why we did it.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like you were both able to do your installs w/o removing the a/c condenser ... In my chevy I had to remove it and then do a custom fit one .. the one from a 87-94 Pete worked out very well ...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like you were both able to do your installs w/o removing the a/c condenser ... In my chevy I had to remove it and then do a custom fit one .. the one from a 87-94 Pete worked out very well ...

I'd like to see you start a thread in the GM 6.2/6.5 section detailing that install or if nothing else, post as many pics as you can!

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
Get aluminum pipes (.065 wall thickness). Don't use a spool gun it will splatter all over (you could tack with it though). Get the pipes cut how you like and bring them up and I will tig them up. I will be doing a intercooler set-up here soon myself but ordering a core and building the end tanks and piping myself.

None of my big trucks have steel inter-cooler piping on them. Aluminum is much better than SS or Mild Steel as it dissipate's heat much better and that's the whole idea of inter-cooling.

would ceramic coating work to coat the inside and outside preventing rust?

i might consider and IC this summer. i would not mind aluminum but i can't TIG it, and i don't want to have a bunch of silicone couplers on it, mainly b/c the silicone is expensive.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a 6.0 cooler, it is no where near the frame rail. I have no idea how the 7.3 cooler fits.

You must be registered for see images attach

Really didn't cut much out of the radiator flange or radiator support.
The lower portion of the radiator support where it is double flanged is all still there.

Had to bend the hood latch a tad but no cutting.

That's almost identical to how i did mine. Core support holes just needed opened up some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online