My First Batch

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
So, today is the first day I've ever used any kind of WMO in my truck. Two tanks full of filtered 50/50, the other half being diesel. Running good so far and total cost reduces down to about 2 bucks a gallon. In an effort to save even more cash, what else can be used to cut the WMO? For those of you in Florida, how heavy of a mix are you running this time of year? Thanks to dagreenville for the motivation and for processing. And thanks to you all for your insight.

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem man I try anything to save a coin and to avoid damn gov taxing hell they get enough of my money!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flareside_thun
Good to hear more guys using wmo.:thumbsup: Regular Unleaded gas is another fuel that some have used, #1 diesel or kerro are popular.
I think for you guys that have good temps, above 50 F most of time, you should be ok with regular diesel fuel. Outside temp is a big thing.
Then it comes down to watching, listening to how your truck "acts" or runs on different mixes.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flareside_thun,
A couple months ago I made a batch with rug, it was 10% of the total batch. My batch was 14-15 gals total, 1.5 rug, 4.5 diesel fuel, 9 gals of wmo.
At the time I thought my mileage wasn't good, maybe from the rug :dunnocookoo
But there is the cost issue as well.

Since then I've tried to stick with stuff thats closer to diesel fuel, #1, kerro.

There is some stuff that Devilish talked about, like a mineral oil with a gas-like "thinness". Print shops use it to clean the machines.
Its in the diesel additives, oils, lubricants, fuel section, I haven't used it yet but that sounds good.

wmoguy

Reaction score
So, today is the first day I've ever used any kind of WMO in my truck. Two tanks full of filtered 50/50, the other half being diesel. Running good so far and total cost reduces down to about 2 bucks a gallon. In an effort to save even more cash, what else can be used to cut the WMO? For those of you in Florida, how heavy of a mix are you running this time of year? Thanks to dagreenville for the motivation and for processing. And thanks to you all for your insight.

Sweet! Congrats in joining the: "I'm done bending over and taking it from OPEC" club! :rotflmao

I like Kerosene for a thinner. It's a little more per gallon than diesel, but you need about half the amount to thin it down to the same consistency you get with using diesel.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I use a mix of 75% oil, 17.5% kerosene, and 7.5% gas. Its been working very well for me with temps down to about 35°F. I add more kerosene if i think its going to get colder.

I mix it this way because i only have one fuel tank, so i run this full time.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I as well am running it full time with this 50/50 mix....unfortunately, the cold temps we had last night wouldn't allow my truck to start.....FML

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Your problem is probably the diesel. My fuel, when warm, is very thin. Almost like diesel. When you mix diesel and WMO its still going to me much thicker. If you want to run only oil and diesel i would suggest a 60/40 or 70/30 mix, heavy on the diesel side.

Otherwise you could try thinning with kerosene or gas. I prefer kero cause i feel its safer, being of the same fuel group as diesel. I put the small percent of gas in because kero is expensive.

Others thin with only gas (don't go over 25%) and report they like it and it works well.

Now you're an official oil burner... Welcome. :D

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just so you guys know his truck didnt start because of a battery issue not a fuel issue i talked to him this mornin i run my truck on the same batch had no problems down at the 26 degrees we had here and when it warms up ill be going back to running a 75% oil to 25% diesel mix ran it last summer with no problems

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yea, as David said, I was having battery issues. I had a shoddy ground on the main battery and a loose connection on the starter. If that don't cut the mustard, its time for a mo-betta starter.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or mo better batteries lol. ill try and get the number for the group 31s for 35 bucks.

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea that would be a great thing as im wanting to switch and sell my brand new batts that i have now