my 7.3 build, part 1?

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bumping my thread back from the dead.

well i've been running at 10psi for a wile. finally got my pcv drain welded into the exhaust with the check valve. no more drip from that. and no real change in exhaust until i get into higher boost.

got the adjustable wastegate actuator put in and adjusted for 15 psi. first pull with everything warmed up the clutch let go in 5th when i got over 12 psi.

pulled the old clutch. i had the original 278k miles dual mass flywheel. 2 broken springs, the bearing between the halves was completely wasted. the throw-out bearing was trashed, and the fingers of the clutch were worn about halfway through at the tips. but the clutch disk looks brand new.

put in a new rear main wile i was in there. got the southbend clutch organic 800ft-lb clutch and single mass flywheel kit. everything went in really easy and fit great. only complaint is that the clutch housing isn't painted so it'll rust in there. the new clutch has less pedal effort than the old valeo that was in there. it's a little grabbier but i wouldn't have noticed if i wasn't looking for it. you really get what you pay for with these guys.

i put new mobil 1 atf in the trans when i put it back together. i still don't have a second gear syncro but i need the truck running again for a few weeks. i've been breaking in the clutch driving to work (60 minutes each way in stop and go trafic. no radio) then yesterday my electric lift pump died again. this is the second one i've been through since a made the switch. i think i'm going to move my good filter/water separator to be after the pump and put a high flow screen filter before it. hopefully that will help pump life. if not then i have to play with fuel pressure regulators with a return line.

i've got a set of head studs on the bench. just waiting for some planned downtime to get the trans rebuilt and i'll do the head studs then. i should be able to get the wastegate up to 20 psi and really see what this set up will do. i think i'm going to run out of fuel to be honest. at 15psi i can't get the EGTs above 1000 when i'm not towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726