MPG

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ouch.that;s really bad LSO.
but you boys let them cruisers idle all day too lol.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never gotten better then 14mpg on the highway running at 60mph. I have brand new BB codes, 5000km old IP, timing set to 9.5 degrees

I would love to get over 400km (250mi) to my front tank, best i can ever seem to get is around 350.

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ouch.that;s really bad LSO.
but you boys let them cruisers idle all day too lol.

Heck yeah man! I like to stay cool in the summer and nice and warm in the winter! Usually when I start my car at 10pm when I come on duty, it don't get turned off until 6am when I pull back in my driveway! Don't tell the big boss man that though. Although I worked with him for several years before he became the big boss man and he did the same thing! LOL

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
LOL, I guess you're right! 99% of my driving is done in a 2010 Crown Vic with blue lights on it so I guess I'm in the habit of driving everything else like I drive it! At least my trucks does get better MPG than my cruiser. It only averages 7-10 MPG! Glad I'm not paying for the gas in it!LOL

i figured you were used to your crown vic.LOL

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never gotten better then 14mpg on the highway running at 60mph. I have brand new BB codes, 5000km old IP, timing set to 9.5 degrees

I would love to get over 400km (250mi) to my front tank, best i can ever seem to get is around 350.

you should be WAY higher than this on the hwy with a stock pickup bed,and SRW.
a couple suggestions to help you get started;
1.can you ditch the larger tires? (they look real cool,but rob energy and increase rolling resistance) if not,thats ok.but for starters make sure you recalibrate your odo (you have 6 times before needing to replace the factory unit.)
larger tires will throw your odo off,making it look as if your traveling less miles than your really going.it's simple to do,and doesn't cost anything.
you don't even need to get grease under the finger nails.
(1992-1997)
this is not enough to account for such reduced economy though,so;
2. what aftermarket converter did you go with? and are you sure its locking up correctly? when you let off the fuel when going down hill,is your converter unlocking and the coast clutch engaging? (you should see rpms drop right out of sight,and the trans will feel almost like its in a neutral state.) -however not so important for hwy driving.so don't focus too much on this.
3.jack up each wheel and insure they spin freely.inspect brakes are not dragging,and that front wheel bearings have no play and be sure to repack them.
4.make sure the rear diff has fresh lube changed every 100k miles max.consider swapping to synthetic while your at it.
5.air all 4 tires up as high as you can stand it/without waring out the centers.
6. make sure the ip is not turned up so high that you seeing smoke.smoke out the back means some fuel is passing right through without getting energy from it.
7.did you know the stock fan clutch can fail in a locked/engaged state too? make sure that old energy hog is releasing.
of course the basics;
don't take off like your in a hurry.ease into her gently,and try to stick to 55 mph max if you can.let off the fuel as soon as you know you'll reach the stop sign or light etc up ahead by coasting to it.

try these basics,and you'll be back reporting a much different FE # with your truck.;)

wait a min!! math check.:D

350 miles on the front tank? what size tank do you have? the metal factory tank is just 16 gallons up there isn't it? mines got the larger 23 gallon poly.
but 350 miles divided by the whole 16 is 21.8. even if its 18 gallons and you use the whole thing,that's still 19.4 mpg.
so what's up? :)

Last edited:

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should be WAY higher than this on the hwy with a stock pickup bed,and SRW.
a couple suggestions to help you get started;
1.can you ditch the larger tires? (they look real cool,but rob energy and increase rolling resistance) if not,thats ok.but for starters make sure you recalibrate your odo (you have 6 times before needing to replace the factory unit.)
larger tires will throw your odo off,making it look as if your traveling less miles than your really going.it's simple to do,and doesn't cost anything.
you don't even need to get grease under the finger nails.
(1992-1997)
this is not enough to account for such reduced economy though,so;
2. what aftermarket converter did you go with? and are you sure its locking up correctly? when you let off the fuel when going down hill,is your converter unlocking and the coast clutch engaging? (you should see rpms drop right out of sight,and the trans will feel almost like its in a neutral state.) -however not so important for hwy driving.so don't focus too much on this.
3.jack up each wheel and insure they spin freely.inspect brakes are not dragging,and that front wheel bearings have no play and be sure to repack them.
4.make sure the rear diff has fresh lube changed every 100k miles max.consider swapping to synthetic while your at it.
5.air all 4 tires up as high as you can stand it/without waring out the centers.
6. make sure the ip is not turned up so high that you seeing smoke.smoke out the back means some fuel is passing right through without getting energy from it.
7.did you know the stock fan clutch can fail in a locked/engaged state too? make sure that old energy hog is releasing.
of course the basics;
don't take off like your in a hurry.ease into her gently,and try to stick to 55 mph max if you can.let off the fuel as soon as you know you'll reach the stop sign or light etc up ahead by coasting to it.

try these basics,and you'll be back reporting a much different FE # with your truck.;)

wait a min!! math check.:D

350 miles on the front tank? what size tank do you have? the metal factory tank is just 16 gallons up there isn't it? mines got the larger 23 gallon poly.
but 350 miles divided by the whole 16 is 21.8. even if its 18 gallons and you use the whole thing,that's still 19.4 mpg.
so what's up? :)

1) Tires are only a year old so they will stay for at least another year till it is time to replace them. I use my truck in the bush quite a bit so having an aggressive tire helps, How does one reset the Odometer?
2) Transmission was built by the Original Owner before I bought it, When going down a hill it does pretty much unlock, doesn't go right down to idle but it does drop significantly in RPMs.
3) Will inspect shortly
4) Oil is a year old, still clean.
5)got each tire up at 50psi, i might crank it up another 10psi and see if that helps.
6) IP is at stock fuel settings, I was contemplating turning it up 1 flat but then I would lose the remainder of my warrenty.
7) How do I check the fan clutch?

I have noticed that no matter how I drive my truck gets the same fuel economy, doesnt matter if im cruising at 80 or 120km it gets within 1-2mpg, never above 14.
In the city i usually get no more then 280-300km to my front tank, which I believe is 72L, and the math check you did was incorrect. I said 350km not MI, if it was 350 miles to the front tank I would be laughing!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i just filled my tires up to 80 PSI. deffinatly feel those bumps, not that i didn't before.LOL i will be able to report any mpg diff be the mid of next week.

9779scott

Reaction score
I have only run 4 tanks of fuel threw my 93 F350 with banks sidewinder and auto trans but I have gotten 14.5 to 15.2. Which from trucks I have had in the past is low but I think I have some tweaking to do on it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online