Motor to sbc oil pump connection for wmo

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=9587 so I just got everything for my wmo setup complete except hose and this. I need to figure a way to get this motor in the link to torn a sbc oil pump. Both have a female type slotted shaft and the motor has a shroud around the shaft and is not very long. I have this motor because it was only $15 and is a 1/3 hp 115 v motor any help tips or ideas greatly appreciated.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a pulley in each. Another memeber here help me set one up with them and it works great.

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look how short the shaft is where do I get a pulley to fit? I found out my motor is a carbonator pump motor.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I used a motor from an oven range and ground the collar off to make a longer shaft, but I'm not sure if you're able to do the same. Then I drilled and tapped the side of a piece of pipe with a 1/2" inner diameter and used that as a coupler with a couple screws. Worked ok. The motor is not super high rims, so it doesn't really matter that its off balance.

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think i may get a piece of steel rod and tab each end with the bench grinder and slide rubber hose or tape over the ends of it to hold everything together. i also realized my motor spins the wrong way. I know my pump will work either direction but the originall output side of the gears is beefed up alittle more where i drilled my hole for my outlet pipe. I think i have that figured out though. still is the connection issue but well see if i cant take care of that here soon.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Switch the two flat prong wires on your plug end of your motor(assuming it is ac). That would mean white and black usually (double check). Switching two wires will reverse the polarity. Or you could get a 3-way switch for it and go both ways!

myndphuct

Reaction score
Switch the two flat prong wires on your plug end of your motor(assuming it is ac). That would mean white and black usually (double check). Switching two wires will reverse the polarity. Or you could get a 3-way switch for it and go both ways!

Actually, switching hot/neutral on an AC motor will not change direction (the current is already constantly changing direction, AC=Alternating Current). You'll have to swap the start/run winding wires (If the motor is even reversible). There should be a cover on the back of the motor, normally where you would wire in the power line/plug. Inside there should be two screw/stake on contacts (these are for the hot/neutral) and two stake on only contacts, with wires already connected. Similar to the image below. You would reverse the red and brown stake on connectors. There should be instructions either on a sticker on the exterior of the motor, or on the backside of the metal cover if it is reversible.

You must be registered for see images attach

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct for a single phase motor. I was thinking differently. We swap leads pretty regularly at work, but they are on three phase induction motors...my bad for the other post...edit and insert foot in mouth

Last edited:

myndphuct

Reaction score
Not really trying to start an argument here, but it does work. I do it at work often enough. I guess it depends on the type of ac motor it is. And it would not be considered reversing the polarity, but putting the motor 180 degrees out of phase so your peaks and troughs are exactly opposite of the way they are intended to be. Think of a 3 position switch on a wall running an ac motor. Up is of reward, middle is off and down is reverse. It works, people do it, but switching the wires in the start/run windings works too.

Guess I'm just accustomed to the 1/3 hp motors used in Heat/AC systems (blowers etc.) every one I've ever dealt with had the separate connections for start/run and polarity of the hot/neutral made no difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle