most powerful 6.2 owner here

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the weakness of the 6.2/6.5 and 6.5 turbo blocks?

I've heard that the main bearings can develop cracks in the block. My dad has a 1993 turbo (non ECU) and just trying to plan ahead in case it ever craps out. There are chinese blocks being made now for them, no idea if they are any good.

My 6.9 is certainly not putting out 300 Hp. Not even sure if the stock injection system can squish that much fuel. Guessing around 220Hp at the mild fuel setting I have right now.

Does the method of removing the top cover work on the 6.9 as well? sounds like it may be a better method with less fuel spilled than going in through the side.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the weakness of the 6.2/6.5 and 6.5 turbo blocks?

I've heard that the main bearings can develop cracks in the block. My dad has a 1993 turbo (non ECU) and just trying to plan ahead in case it ever craps out. There are chinese blocks being made now for them, no idea if they are any good.

My 6.9 is certainly not putting out 300 Hp. Not even sure if the stock injection system can squish that much fuel. Guessing around 220Hp at the mild fuel setting I have right now.

Does the method of removing the top cover work on the 6.9 as well? sounds like it may be a better method with less fuel spilled than going in through the side.
most of the cracked block issues can be directly traced to a slipped harmonic balancer.
the new blocks aren't of chinese mfg. they are definitely made in the US. the price reflects so too. $10k is the pricetag for the longblock. for that price you get the cooling jets for the pistons so meltdowns are a thing of the past.
To do the top cover trick with the 6.9/7.3 would require removal of the governor spring assy. It's offest just slightly on the chevy.

cgassett

Reaction score
Nothing except dual exhaust and a k&N. I change the oil every 2000 miles and add a quart of lucas oil stabilizer with the rotella. I do a complete checkover of the truck every day and stay on top of everything. I bought it for a a grand about a year and a half ago from the local power company and I just had the 465 rebuilt because I blew out the fork for third gear. I did notice an increase with milage when I put royal purples rear-end fluid and trans fluid in. It was minimal, like a half a mpg, but that adds up over the miles. Its hard to notice what does what unless its dramatic when theres two ladders on the rack and that heavy ass trailer full of equipment. I am planning on addig a fitch fuel can to see what that does.

cgassett

Reaction score
Nothing except dual exhaust and a k&N. I change the oil every 2000 miles and add a quart of lucas oil stabilizer with the rotella. I do a complete checkover of the truck every day and stay on top of everything. I bought it for a a grand about a year and a half ago from the local power company and I just had the 465 rebuilt because I blew out the fork for third gear. I did notice an increase with milage when I put royal purples rear-end fluid and trans fluid in. It was minimal, like a half a mpg, but that adds up over the miles. Its hard to notice what does what unless its dramatic when theres two ladders on the rack and that heavy ass trailer full of equipment. I am planning on addig a fitch fuel can to see what that does.

sootman73

Reaction score
The pump on the gms is the same but the opposite. everything is switched from the passenger side to the drivers side. anyone want a 6.2 designation DB-2? with 8 injection lines. also a set of eight injectors. hell buy the pump and lines and ill send you the injectors. all used but good cores. i dont need cuz i dont have any chevy motors anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance