Fuel injection pump / no power

TNSIN

Reaction score
I have a 92 F-250, automatic, 4x4, 7.3 diesel, with banks sidewinder turbo. Not powerstroke.

I don't have power to either of the clips on the injector pump with the key on. I have checked the fuses and none seem to be bad.

I also checked the glow plug controller. The two big yellow wires have power. The two smaller connections have no power even with the key on.

TNSIN

Reaction score
If anyone has the wiring diagrams from ignition to injection pump i would really appreciate it. Or any knowledge to why the two small terminals on the glow plug controller/ relay don't have power with the key on?

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That harness gave me a lot of trouble as well. I think the connectors fail after time, or the wire rubs through and shorts. Instead of trying to deal with ford's system I've converted some of that harness to manual controls so I don't have to worry about the old wires

https://www.oilburners.net/posts/1055806/

This post is how I bypassed the injector pump shutoff wire.

https://www.dieselhub.com/maintenance/idi-manual-glow-plug-switch.html

This post shows how to convert your ford glow plug controller to manual control. This should work if you have power to those yellow wires. Does your solenoid make any weird noises?

I also got a manual glow plug conversion kit from CDD which eliminates all the ford now plug system which is worthwhile in my opinion. I still haven't figured out the high idle, but that could easily be converted to manual with the same style circuit as the now plug conversion but with a smaller solenoid and a toggle switch. It's not a perfect fix but it will get the truck driving

Last edited:

TNSIN

Reaction score
Thank you for answering. I have went out and purchased a relay, wiring, and connectors.

When you sat up your relay did you just find a 12v when key is on to run it off of? Also did you run one wire to the relay then two wires off of it to go to the FSS? I didn't see where you explained to which spots on the relay you ran to and off of?

Also what exactly does the wire going inside the cabin to the fuse box do and the circuit you talked about going into spot 18? Was this something else you bought and wired up? I kind of get confused as to how that is set up?

Also i can't get that harness plug on the drivers side coming off of the under hood fuse box to come apart. Is there some special trick to getting it to separate?

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.