most powerful 6.2 owner here

detroitdiesel

Reaction score
Hi, new to the form. I was just wondering what kind of power outputs you guys have with your 6.2's. My 6.2 is a 1986 GMC 1/2 with J code pump (nearly turned up all the way), and intake. Also, It has a banks turbo kit that makes 10 PSI. With the turbo it's rated at 220HP and 360-370 torque. with the pump, probably 250, and 400 ish.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!
There's one guy here "dieseldummy" who put out some pretty nutty numbers with his truck. I am just plain happy that the 6.2/6.5's I babysit stays out of the shop other than PM work. With the BS in the sandbox going on, I don't have access to good used motors anymore and finding a rebuildable one(6.5) is darn near next to impossible. As long as the motors don't overheat, we're in good shape and I like to keep it that way. I am having a little fun though, I am shoehorning a '93 6.5td into a '83 chassis with the intention of getting as much MPG out of the darn thing.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Like towcat mentions I push my 6.2/6.5 to the limit... Probably near 275-300 hp. (maxed out 6.5 pump) A friend of mine has a drag race pickup that is well over 300 hp and runs in the 14's in the 1/4 mile.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am having a little fun though, I am shoehorning a '93 6.5td into a '83 chassis with the intention of getting as much MPG out of the darn thing.

Speaking of that..... has anybody ever dropped one in an S-10 frame?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of that..... has anybody ever dropped one in an S-10 frame?
homer-
i haven't even considered it. It should be do-able though. a 4.3 is a SBC with two nuts cut off. I've seen SBC's crammed into s-10's, so a diesel is not that big of a stretch. I prolly can get away with a swap like that in TX, but no so in kali. The smog police would be saying no-go.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
homer-
i haven't even considered it. It should be do-able though. a 4.3 is a SBC with two nuts cut off. I've seen SBC's crammed into s-10's, so a diesel is not that big of a stretch. I prolly can get away with a swap like that in TX, but no so in kali. The smog police would be saying no-go.
Thats why I asked Cal, I had an 89 S-10 w/the 4.3 and I have seen numerous BBC's stuffed into the S-10 platform, I think a 6.5 would be sweet under the hood of a mini-chev.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Might make for a fun rice killer... The 6.5 will fit most anywhere a SBC will so I'm sure it could be done.

My 6.2/6.5 combo wears a Holset for a turbo and a "special" 6.5 injection pump. It's intercooled, has low compression pistons and a main girdle kit. Nothing to special, but it's always fun to drive. Even with the Dmax around...

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Dunno... never ran it at the track. It pulls a sled pretty decent though!

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I have some dyno numbers finally after all these years. Dynoed on a superflow in the cold near the end of a long dyno day. Couldn't get a good tach signal to record tq, but did get a couple of runs that recorded hp. I'm assuming that the lack of tach signal didn't mess with hp readings?? It made around 204hp at the rear wheels. I put the numbers into an excel spreadsheet to figure tq, made around 440 ftlbs.

I guess that little hy-35 is choking it up on the upper end, but really does make good tq down low. Figure drivetrain loss is high with a sick auto trans and cold 80w-90 in the rearend and it still comes out pretty good.

Alot of people complained that they were down on power, but I'd guess they're not far off in my case.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Dang, those are some pretty respectible numbers at the rear wheels. I wanna strap mine onto a dyno and see what it does, but I'm sure its not going to be close to 204rwhp like yours put down.

Denver95327

Denver95327
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get more power out of a 6.2 chevy with a banks sidwinder turbo already installed. Looking for some fuel mods, want a little black smoke like the pic of diesel dummy. thanks

Denver95327

Denver95327
Reaction score
I have no idea, only owned truck about 6 months, I know absolutely nothing about these 6.2's....this truck is an 83 How do you turn the pump up? I'm used to the cummins, not these ol 6.2s Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance