most powerful 6.2 owner here

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Do you have gauges, pyro and boost? If you do what kind of EGT's and boost numbers are you seeing? I think the 6.2 has about the same safe boost levels as a IH IDI, so keep it below 12 pounds. And if your thermocoupler (egt probe) is mounted in the exhaust manifold, dont go over 1200* for very long.

If the 6.2 pump is the same as my 6.9 pump, this is what you have to do. Looking at the IP from the passenger side looking towards the drivers side, at the bottom of the pump towards where all the fuel lines go in, there will be a rectangular black plate with 3 little bolts. Take off 2 of them and loosen 1, so it will be easier to put it back on. Then you have to rotate the motor until you can see a allen screw in there. Use a good allen wrench and tighten it to increase the fuel. Just do it in short intervals of about 1/8". Thats if the 6.2 pump is like mine, if not, then its all wrong.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Do you have gauges, pyro and boost? If you do what kind of EGT's and boost numbers are you seeing? I think the 6.2 has about the same safe boost levels as a IH IDI, so keep it below 12 pounds. And if your thermocoupler (egt probe) is mounted in the exhaust manifold, dont go over 1200* for very long.

If the 6.2 pump is the same as my 6.9 pump, this is what you have to do. Looking at the IP from the passenger side looking towards the drivers side, at the bottom of the pump towards where all the fuel lines go in, there will be a rectangular black plate with 3 little bolts. Take off 2 of them and loosen 1, so it will be easier to put it back on. Then you have to rotate the motor until you can see a allen screw in there. Use a good allen wrench and tighten it to increase the fuel. Just do it in short intervals of about 1/8". Thats if the 6.2 pump is like mine, if not, then its all wrong.

They are the same. It's hard to see the side cover on a 6.2 because of all the crap on the motor. The easiest way is to pull the top cover, gov assy, and gov guide pin. Then look down and rotate engine until the allen screw is lined up. 5/32" IIRC. Definately use a good wrench because the screws have loctite on them and are hard to turn. With a banks turbo you should be able to nearly max that 6.2 pump out I'd suspect.

Denver95327

Denver95327
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help, any more input would be great also, i will look as soon as I get time. I do have a pyro and boost, I don't believe my pyro is to accurate though, runs about 500(after turbo) boost is max around 8psi. I'm pretty sure that the injection pump is stock, I can't get a drop of smoke out of it. I've owned a few cummins that pump smoke when turned up. truck runs great the way it is and for what it is.

Denver95327

Denver95327
Reaction score
I was rading some other information about turning your pump up on the 6.2, how far do you recommend to turn it up? Some say no more then 1/4 turn with a turbo. Think this will do the trick or more/less? Also, how hard will the truck be to start, I do have starter problems where I can't turn the engine over a full revolution, This truck starts really easy with a bump of the starter so i never have any problems starting it. Do you think this will be an issue with turning the pump up and trying to get it restarted? Thanks again for all of your help.

Denver

77 Chevy 350 4x4 Lifted 4" 33s
83 Chevy 6.2 Diesel 4x4 Lifted 10" 38s Banks turbo
96 Dodge Cummins lifted 3" 33' Injectors, exhaust, intake, fuel cam plate
06 Dodge Cummins lifted 6" 35s Bullydog, crazy larry

Attachments

• Cummins.jpg
    Cummins.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 40

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I say go 1/4", and then see what your gauges read. If EGT's get to hot to quick, back it down some (like 1/16"). I say go for it, you will be happy with it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first suggestion is to put in a pyro on the exh manifold side and check for your baseline.
Stock Banks 6.2 turbos are anemic in my book. They're too small. I put a Banks wastegated turbo off a 6.9/7.3IDI on a 6.5 plumbed for factory turbo. haven't got a chance to run it yet due to my rebuilder screwing up th motor. I'm waiting to get it back anyday now-cuss
google up "oliverdiesel" or "oliver diesel" he's got pics and writeup on the conversion. He did his on Banks kit too.
If you're the only one driving the truck, bottom out the feul screw and back it off 1-2 flats. Drive by pyro after doing that is mandatory
good luck;Sweet.
ps....i just saw your sig line. do bear in mind ANY improvement to the 6.2 pales in comparison to the Dodges you're playing with.

Denver95327

Denver95327
Reaction score
I will Probably try and go 1/6th of a turn or so, I don't need to go to much, Kinda worry about the running gear the way it is. good ol half ton with a 700r4, not impressive...So after I turn up the fuel pump will I have trouble starting it? Few other questions because this chevy diesel is new to me, Will a starter off of a 82 Manuel trans diesel 6.2 work or no? Found a parts truck, 82, 6.2 diesel(non runnins) manuel trans and 3/4 ton for 500 bucks I might pick up for axles and tranny.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will Probably try and go 1/6th of a turn or so, I don't need to go to much, Kinda worry about the running gear the way it is. good ol half ton with a 700r4, not impressive...So after I turn up the fuel pump will I have trouble starting it? Few other questions because this chevy diesel is new to me, Will a starter off of a 82 Manuel trans diesel 6.2 work or no? Found a parts truck, 82, 6.2 diesel(non runnins) manuel trans and 3/4 ton for 500 bucks I might pick up for axles and tranny.
Turning up the feul on the IP is not advancing the IP. they're two separate functions. Turning up the feul increases the total volume of feul delivered and does not affect the timing of delivery. So....you will start just like any other time. What will change is how soon you will overfeul and start making black smoke.

Denver95327

Denver95327
Reaction score
Thanks again, I don't mean hard starting every day, I just mean after I take the cover off the fuel pump and turn the screw, Will it be hard to start after that, There were some other posts on a different web site and it said it can be hard to start and don't crank your starter more then 30 sec at a time(which i would never do for even half that time) My starter is bad and I can't crank engine over, I just bump it to start it and it works fine. Should I replace starter first then turn fuel pump up incase I have trouble starting it?

Thanks again, You guys have been great help.
Denver

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I would definately fix the starter first. It can/will take a little bit of cranking to refill the IP with fuel.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
When we turned the pump up on mine and started it, it started normal for me (about 2 cranks). Then it ran fine for a second or two, then started to stumble a bit, so I just reved it up and it went away after 20 seconds or so.

Denver95327

Denver95327
Reaction score
OK, thanks, now, Does anything have a 6.2 Starter for sale? Id rather not spend 100 bucks on a starter if the truck starts fine now.

sootman73

Reaction score
I will Probably try and go 1/6th of a turn or so, I don't need to go to much, Kinda worry about the running gear the way it is. good ol half ton with a 700r4, not impressive...

turning up the screw on one of these is not like the one in a cummins. you aren't gonna see huge horsepower gains. 35 at the most i would say. you're running gear wont even be able to tell that you did something. like i said not a new diesel. they aren't powerhouses by any means.

that doesn't make them worthless though. they are reliable(well my ford anyway:D ) and can def take a lot of abuse. (or so i thought until my 6.2l blew up!) wont be buying one of those again!

cgassett

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new here and sounds like there's some good stuff to be done to the 6.2s. I was wandering what the fuel milage is like after these upgrades? I have and 89 GMC 3500 crew cab with a stock 6.2 and 147,000 miles on her with an 8' tool box loaded down and I use it everyday to pull a 20' open landscape trailer with a total rolling weight of about 14,000 lbs at 43' overall length and the fuel mileage is unbelievable; 19-24 depending on where I fuel up. Just for the fun of it, I put it on the dyno a few months ago and she put out a whopping 102 hp and 203 ft lbs on the rear wheels at 2400 rpm. That's only 72hp more than my big mower!, but she pulls like a dream. It's got the SM465 tranny with a 14 bolt and 4.88 gears. She don't get there fast, but she'll damn sure get it there efficiently and economically. In case anyone was wandering, she tops out at a warp speed of 61 mph so look out Warren Johnson!

jrobey

Reaction score
Have you done any mods to this truck?
I get 20mpg in my 6.2 3/4 ton Suburban with an electric fuel pump after the filters and a big honking home made air cleaner w/ dual exhaust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online