more useable powerband

Black dawg

Reaction score
what has to be done too make these run to 3k instead of 25ish? there are times towing that a wider powerband would help out lots. truck is a 97 with an auto, #6 plate and a t/c lock switch

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Get your self a Governor spring kit - they come in either 3k or 4k. I would recommend that if going to the 4k that you install 60lb valve springs. I have the 3k on mine and she will rev to slightly over 3k (around 3400ish according to the factory tach). I do have the 60lb springs on mine but that is only because of the use of an exhaust brake that is tweaked for more backpressure than std.

Black dawg

Reaction score
with the 3k springs does it make it run hard to 3k and does it affect it anywhere else.? thanks for the reply.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
It pulls hard all the way to 3k. It makes it a lot more fun to drive! The only side effect is sometimes you get a touchy pedal(less pedal does twice as much). If your good with wrenching & not afraid to try, there's a poor man's GSK by using a couple 3/8" washers. It's in the Cummins 4BT,6BT,6CT section of the link in my "Low Buck" link below ;Sweet

Last edited:

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
EMD Diesel Power said:
GSK3 or GSK4 Governor spring kits.... along with some sort of plate and bigger exhaust.

Get wicked and do the whole thing with twin turbos. ;Sweet ;Sweet
He's got an auto, he'd need some injectors too. :thumbsup:

Black dawg

Reaction score
thanks for the info. this is not my truck, just getting info for a friend