More power.....idi? psd? cummins?

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Govliquidations out of huntsville, alabama is auctioning off some CAT L7 they are 7.2L I-6 complete NEW engines in crates 330hp but 880ftlbs of torque :D Just think what you could do with that 1100lb puppy. I saw them go at auction last week on a few of them for $880. Trucks aren't really meant for racing. Yea they go fast and blow lots of smoke, but speed is money. How fast can you afford to go.

Have this kid here in town with a 1st gen PS that thinks its cool to blow smoke all in front of me in my 85. I asked him if he wanted to hook them up to see who pulled who.I told him it was only a 6cylinder. He was all for it till he found out I was referring to my multifuel 6cyl in my 6x6. He didnt want to play anymore then. Specially since it rolled enough coal running on pure WMO and 1 dead cylinder to kill everyone in its path.

I am going to put a 6.9 from a bus into my 6x6 in the new few weeks. so we will see what kind of difference in power i get (the LDS-465) has a max rpm is 2600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSx9bfZ30Zo

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Govliquidations out of huntsville, alabama is auctioning off some CAT L7 they are 7.2L I-6 complete NEW engines in crates 330hp but 880ftlbs of torque :D Just think what you could do with that 1100lb puppy. I saw them go at auction last week on a few of them for $880. Trucks aren't really meant for racing. Yea they go fast and blow lots of smoke, but speed is money. How fast can you afford to go.

Have this kid here in town with a 1st gen PS that thinks its cool to blow smoke all in front of me in my 85. I asked him if he wanted to hook them up to see who pulled who.I told him it was only a 6cylinder. He was all for it till he found out I was referring to my multifuel 6cyl in my 6x6. He didnt want to play anymore then. Specially since it rolled enough coal running on pure WMO and 1 dead cylinder to kill everyone in its path.

I am going to put a 6.9 from a bus into my 6x6 in the new few weeks. so we will see what kind of difference in power i get (the LDS-465) has a max rpm is 2600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSx9bfZ30Zo

An IDI into that truck? Wow! What are those multifuel motors rated at anyways?

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
the idi is the same SAE#2 pattern bell housing with the same rear mounts on the bell housing. just will have to make a front crossmember mount since its on the bottom front of the motor. It came out of a 4x4 87 Bus. YES a 4x4 bus with lift blocks on the front (a little different)

The LDS without a turbo is rated at 130hp and 340ftlbs. the LDS with a turbo is 170/190hp and 425ftlbs. The torque is a little higher than the 338 from the 6.9. Parts for the 6.9 is cheaper, turbos are easy to come by, pump turn up. The problem with the multifuel is parts and they are NOT very reliable. Lets face it you cant just jump into it and go right across the country. The IDI you could. The idi i am looking at from the bus has the air compressor setup, the power steering and all the brackets still attached since my m-61 does have power steering ill have to figure out how to get the hoses matched up. The exhaust will have to be run custom to.

Attachments

• IH1.jpg
    IH1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IH2.jpg
    IH2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IH3.jpg
    IH3.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IH4.jpg
    IH4.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IH5.jpg
    IH5.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IH6.jpg
    IH6.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IH7.jpg
    IH7.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IH8.jpg
    IH8.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 0

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Plus the multifuel is unbelievably loud. You cant drive it without hearing protection. And it vibrates so bad that my body shakes for days when I get out of it. So itll be nice not having to drive around with ear plugs in and people thinking there is an M-60 tank coming down the highway and that canada is invading. Plus I get around 8mpg with my multifuel turning 2600rpms at 48mph on the highway. I am thinking the idi will be a little bit better on fuel. MAYBE. we will see.... my 5 ton axles are 8.88 ratio so it doesnt take much to get them rolling.

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arent 3208's like 10.4L?

There has been talk of swapping them in, and we all have seen pics of some swaps...yet nobody has pursued it here.

I here if you crank them up you need lots of cooling capacity to keep them from overheating.

Ya, 636cid. I've always wanted to put a 3204 into a ranger. 5.2L I4.:sly I know a guy who put a 3208 into a 70's ford for somebody, he said the dana 60 rear only lasted a few blocksLOL.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
i would bet both weighting the same the dmax still outruns it. personally, i'd probably still choose a ford for towing. A 6.0 is a great engine with all the bugs fixed. but when it comes to racing, duramaxes are screamin motors. theres a kid here in town with an 06 gmc with nothing more than exhaust, intake, and a programmer, and his truck is the truck to beat. Well, his and his brothers twin-turbo 12v.

Tell ya what. take your buddys duramax and put it against the equivalent 6.4.

The 6.4 with a tuner, exhaust and intake put 535HP to the GROUND, running a 13.48 in the 1/4. The duramax is about 100HP shy of that the the same mods and about 1 full sec slower

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the idea of a 3208 sounds cool, and they go a whole lot cheaper around here. But I have always heard they are pretty sad for oomph

You can get a up to 425 or 475hp injector pumps. I think the c7 (3126) would be the coolest. The rv ones are rated at 350hp and 860tq. But then you have the electronic heui, so a computer would be needed.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ yep. two ring pistons two bolt mains and everything made to be light an compact. ya you can get marine pumps and junk for em but unless your puttin it in your boat you cant cool it. plus i highly doubt they last at that hp level, 225 is too much for most of them. its kinda the idi of the medium duty world.