More power.....idi? psd? cummins?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not getting a lot of answers because you've been here long enough to know what the answers already are. It's the same ol' same ol'. $ = Power.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Where do you want this horse power.... At the rear wheels or at the crank. The pad swap will be a horrible job. You will need a complete psd engine plus all the wire harness and cumputer. It has been done here but its a lot of work for the small differance in power. Then you have lots of very expensive injectors and sensers that will be failing just because of the miles you plan on driving. Now a cummins swap makes good sence because it usually is a mechanical engine and not the 24 valve all electrincially controlled engine management. We have severl members that have gone that direction. Ask around and they may help you out.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screw the Cummins 6BT. Get a IH DT360. It is a better 5.9 liter inline six cylinder diesel. It's is wet sleeved. It can make a ton of power if you want. Any place that does tractor pulling engines has a ton of stuff for them. They are roughly an inch or so longer than a 6BT. The big plus is, you still have an IH diesel under the hood and something very unique. I love my IDI, but personally, I would have loved Ford to have used that platform for their diesel pickups rather than an IH V8.

Heath

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the IDI build up or a Cummins swap for ease and simplicity. The best might be the DT360 swap but that could get more complex. There are adapters out there that go from a DT360 to a T18/19. NMB2 is making good power with DPS products and a guy over on TDS claims 296 RWHP on Moose Pump and stock G codes, of course IC, propane also. He could probably easily see 300 with Moose Misters or Stage 1s from DPS I think. The way to do the Cummins swap cheaply is to find a tired old Dodge truck that still has a good Cummins and swap the whole powertrain over or be good enough (or know someone who is) good enough at machine work to make your own adapters. The custom adapters are the expensive part (Destroked or Ford-Cummins). Midnight Rider did the whole Powertrain swap method but bought the custom motor mounts. Not sure what route Alienturtle or Exeikiel went. Hopefully these guys will let you know. IMO the only big downside to the IDI build up is that we know that a Cummins or a DT can sustain 300+ HP for a long time, the question is will an IDI still have an acceptable lifespan at those power levels. They appear to be well overbuilt for 175-200 HP but how much can they really handle? We're in the process of finding the limits.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that, but that means new trans, case, clutch setup etc.....lots more work unless i get one with an allison auto, then gotta go divorces etc.....was trying to keep my zf5 spd and case.

The problem with staying with the ZF5 at 350HP on a cummins or DT360 is ZF5 would be a weak link in the drivetrain. It is only rated for 420 ft/lbs. Either diesel making 350HP will be putting out around 700 ft/lbs. Adaptors are out there if you want to keep the stock trans with either engine. Me...... I'd get a medium duty truck trans and never have to worry about the cummins or DT360 hurting anything.

Heath

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
I love that, but that means new trans, case, clutch setup etc.....lots more work unless i get one with an allison auto, then gotta go divorces etc.....was trying to keep my zf5 spd and case.

in a non ******* way..if you dont plan to do "lots of work" you should not be considering a swap.. Its always.. ALWAYS more than just..adapter plate mounts blah blah bolt together done. There is always a next step or hurdle to get over. O yeah and when people say the swap will cost this much $$$$..double that..

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the dt360 recommendation, I hope someday to do this swap myself.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
If you want something that will be "easy" do the Cummins swap, enough people have done them so you won't be at you're wits end trying to find help with a problem.

If you want to do something that will be totally badass do the DT360 swap.

But like said before, with either swap ditch the ZF5.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you have the truck down for work/repair already, It'd be a great time to go Cummins. I know, it's been done and isn't terribly new or flashy anymore, but it is a good deal for reliable power in a proven package. I second the thought of buying a running donor instead of piece mealing it together. If you run a 94-up, you can use the trans and t-case since dodge swapped to driver drop t-case in 94. Use a first gen accessory drive/fan set up and radiator for a near factory looking install. I don't know if you ever visit Pirate4x4.com, but Projectjunkie did a nice looking cummins swap on his '92-ish truck that looks real good.
Travis..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
in a non ******* way..if you dont plan to do "lots of work" you should not be considering a swap.. Its always.. ALWAYS more than just..adapter plate mounts blah blah bolt together done. There is always a next step or hurdle to get over. O yeah and when people say the swap will cost this much $$$$..double that..
Amen!
3 grand to do a Cummins swap??? Yeah right... and then he heard, .... wake up, it's time to go to school :eek:

Sorry to be harsh, but had to drive a point home. When doing a major conversion, you have so many little things that bite you in the hind end that you weren't planning on that the end you end up spending at least 3 or more times what you originally budgeted unless you've been doing conversions and such half your life...then it only kicks you in the pants to about double the original budget :eek: :rotflmao
You will find yourself dropping $60-100 at a time just on bolts for various things. By the time you get done you will seriously consider buying stock in your favourite gasket sealer company. and just WAIT till you get the bill from the machine shop for those custom items for the things that *just* wouldn't quite go together... you're talking a large portion of that $3000 estimate right there for just one item.

Swaps are best left for those with deep pockets or extensive fabrication skills( and deep pockets )

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sooo found a 1992 international with dt360 manual trans etc. Current bid is $400.....You guys really have me thinking

I'd jump on that. Seriously. Even if you still would rather have a Cummins. You can sell the engine and transmission and make some good cash. If you are patient, you can find DT's and medium duty transmissions cheep.

Heath

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I'd love to have a DT360...the one here in the shop at school torments me everyday.:rolleyes: I keep trying to convice my instructors that trading that for a 7.3 IDI is a good even trade....:sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online