More power.....idi? psd? cummins?

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
I think you should put this motor in it. Pound for pound, a way better value and more horsepower per pound than any motor I've seen here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAGz4i2_Iuk

Thats perfect for this thread!!!

Everyone keeps talkin about ditching the old ZF, it seems to me that someone probably performs buildups of these transmissions, has anyone thought of that? Just my .02 but I prefer the feel of the way the ZF shifts WAY better than any trans that has come out of the chrysler corp all together.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZF trannys have held together behind some PSD's that make a whole bunch of power(I realize they have an extra 50 ft. lbs. torque capacity); I don't see why one wouldn't hold up behind a mild DT360? It would make the swap that much easier.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The choices are endless for a repower. You can go with the DT360 but you will almost be on your own for adapters, but you can call http://www.carsonstaufferdiesel.com/ he has done more than one DT360 swap.
A cummins is another choice, but to me, it was just another 'Me too" engine.
Then there is the PSD. It will bolt right in place of the IDI and everything is a plug and play, you just need a donor truck. For you I would look for a 2wd canidate, and just swap the PSD stiff into your IDI truck, no custom anything. You can get a good rotted out running PSD truck these days for about 1000-1500, or less

But to reach the HP you are looking for, all 3 will need to be warmed up

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
yet it seems the psd is the easiest. the cummins is second, the dt360 hardest. but the cummins is cheapest to modify, then the dt then the psd....lol

The DT is easiest to modify in my mind and the most reliable with lots of HP. Hypermax says the DT is good for about 2000HP:eek: that is just insane

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DT is easiest to modify in my mind and the most reliable with lots of HP. Hypermax says the DT is good for about 2000HP:eek: that is just insane

X 2. Plus, you can get hot DT parts pretty cheap from pullers upgrading their tractor for next season. Pulloff is a good place to look for those kind of things. I bought a Hypermax P-pump (1100cc), larger stainless lines, a turbo (with three different housings), hardend rods, and the IP mounting plate and drive gear for less than the cost of buy the just IP from Hypermax (by > $1000) from a puller. Those will be going on my DT466.:love:

Heath

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Cummins or a DT. PSD is a great motor but then yer gonna need all the harnesses. Cummins would prob be cheaper and lots of people have already done it.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DT360.
Ford 6.6/BRAZILIAN WHATEVAH
or ********.

Best of all worlds.. Dmax/Allison. Easiest newer diesel to get 450 hp... and Allisons are bomob diggity.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The non overdrive part will really make you hate life, especially if the DT360 has a power band anything like the Cummins 6BT. You'd need some sort of auxillary overdrive unit. The DT360 is pretty weak from the factory, but I'll bet a turned up one making 300 HP and 600+ lbs-ft of torque would still be reasonably reliable with a ZF 5 simply because they hold together behind non stock powerstrokes and occasionay Cummins swaps all the time. I have no evidence to back that up though. You should probably research some of the PSD forums and see what the guys that have heavily modified their PSD have experienced with the ZF. The best bet would be a true medium duty manual like a road ranger, but that would get expensive and challenging to mount in a hurry.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those of you that are fimiliar with DT360 applications....do these have any method for helping them start in winter? that would be one concern with this swap. it must function year round and be reliable.

Mechanical DT's have a great rep for cold weather starting. There is no provision for glow plugs or an intake heating grid. Some have block heaters that can be used. The HEUI (same as the PSD's) DT466E's are another story, but you don't want one of those. If you leave the compression ratio at 17.5 to 1, and don't get too crazy with the IP timing........ it will start just fine, especially with a block heater.

Heath

FordGuy100

Reaction score
DT360.
Ford 6.6/BRAZILIAN WHATEVAH
or ********.

Best of all worlds.. Dmax/Allison. Easiest newer diesel to get 450 hp... and Allisons are bomob diggity.

6.4/5R110 I think tromps on them. 525-550RWHP and a tranny that doesnt need built to handle it.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Mechanical DT's have a great rep for cold weather starting. There is no provision for glow plugs or an intake heating grid. Some have block heaters that can be used. The HEUI (same as the PSD's) DT466E's are another story, but you don't want one of those. If you leave the compression ratio at 17.5 to 1, and don't get too crazy with the IP timing........ it will start just fine, especially with a block heater.

Heath

I think that grafting a grid heater would be a good idea. will the gigantic starters used in the dt application fit in our trucks or is a different one needed for the swap?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that grafting a grid heater would be a good idea. will the gigantic starters used in the dt application fit in our trucks or is a different one needed for the swap?

The starters can be mounted in several locations depending on the block to trans adaptor. Most use SAE #2 bellhousings with the start high of the driver's or passenger's side of the engine. That should put it out of the way of the frame and engine crossmember. I'll know for certain once I get the crew cab's 6.9 rebuilt and can start mounting the DT466 on the F350 frame I'm using.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online