More power.....idi? psd? cummins?

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
why is everyone dissing the zf5? you think an nv4500 is better? zf5s are considered one of the strongest manual trannys out there. You can put down a lot of power before you have to tear into one, you just need a good clutch obviously, just like with any other manual you look at. nv4500s are sloppy, have 5th gear nut issues, and dont have as good of gearing as the zf5s. unless you go medium duty, zf5 is your best bet, especially since you already have one.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
6.4/5R110 I think tromps on them. 525-550RWHP and a tranny that doesnt need built to handle it.

i'm a ford guy, but duramaxs walk all over 6.4s. and 6.0s, and 7.3s, and 6.7s. if you want a fast diesel, you cant beat the duramax. negatives = aluminum heads, a lot of electronic ****. but all that electronic **** means all you need is a good programmer to make big power. any ford with the same mods as a duramax will lose. it's simple as that, people can be in denial all they want but that is how it is. I don't like chevys, I'll never own a duramax, but I cant diss them. Isuzu made their **** right.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
i'm a ford guy, but duramaxs walk all over 6.4s. and 6.0s, and 7.3s, and 6.7s. if you want a fast diesel, you cant beat the duramax. negatives = aluminum heads, a lot of electronic ****. but all that electronic **** means all you need is a good programmer to make big power. any ford with the same mods as a duramax will lose. it's simple as that, people can be in denial all they want but that is how it is. I don't like chevys, I'll never own a duramax, but I cant diss them. Isuzu made their **** right.

Yes. I was comparing their drivetrains. The 5R110 is much, much more stout than the Allison 1000. Guys running tunes and nitrous through 6.4's can do it with a stock tranny. Building a 5R only makes the truck faster.

But I do agree duramaxs are quick! I also thought we were talking about towing. I woukd feel 10x more safe towing with a 500hp 6.4/stock 5R setup then a 400hp duramax/stock Allison.

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

The ONLY reason a duramax is faster(and not by much) is the trucks are about 1000lbs lighter to begin with. Add 1000lbs to a duramax and see how fast they are

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
that is a lot of weight.

Why such a difference?

Ever look at chevys box frame and aluminum IFS vs fords channel frame and solid front axle?

Aslo chevy has had ALOT of issues with the sheet metal denting easy(like closing the hood and having finger dents in the hood:eek:) the sheet metal is so thin

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
The ONLY reason a duramax is faster(and not by much) is the trucks are about 1000lbs lighter to begin with. Add 1000lbs to a duramax and see how fast they are

i would bet both weighting the same the dmax still outruns it. personally, i'd probably still choose a ford for towing. A 6.0 is a great engine with all the bugs fixed. but when it comes to racing, duramaxes are screamin motors. theres a kid here in town with an 06 gmc with nothing more than exhaust, intake, and a programmer, and his truck is the truck to beat. Well, his and his brothers twin-turbo 12v.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm throwing in my vote for a 3116 or a 3208.:D

Arent 3208's like 10.4L?

There has been talk of swapping them in, and we all have seen pics of some swaps...yet nobody has pursued it here.

I here if you crank them up you need lots of cooling capacity to keep them from overheating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online