moose power?

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would need to know how many IP strokes per engine rpm. (Is it direct drive? or am I missing soemthing?)

That's what I'm looking for, I don't know how many strokes there are on every engine rotation. I would think it would be the same as the number of power strokes, but I don't know.:dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Our IP's have 2 (I forget the term) "bores". every one revolution of the IP will result with 2 strokes. My guess is that it's one to one considering for every 1 revolution of the crank only 2 cylinders will be firing. Should be one to one.

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the 3000hp shootout in the march diesel power? If so, those guys were only turning 4000rpm with a 5.9. Point taken though, especially with an idi, you don't make near as much power per lb/min of air. The figures still kind of seem off to me.

also, remember, the 3000 HP shootout was basically just coverage of three different trucks makin about 1000hp a peice. all three trucks were throwin over 100 psi.

and the ccs per 1000 are as follows:

baby moose- 60cc
moose- 90cc
super moose- 120cc

and if the 6.9 makes 2.2 rwhp per 1cc per 1000 rpms, is that n/a or boosted? cause that would stand to reason that with the moose cranked, it could push 198hp with no other mods...

also, what is factory hp/tq spec for an 84 6.9?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Thanks, that helps some.;Sweet

Anybody know how to get that flow into gpm or lbs/min?:dunno

Also what is the governed speed of the super moose/ regular moose?

Here's my guesstimates:

120cc/1000 strokes

Assuming 1 stroke = 1 RPM :

0.03170399 gpm @ 1000 rpm
or
0.20227 lbs/min @ 1000 rpm

:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, remember, the 3000 HP shootout was basically just coverage of three different trucks makin about 1000hp a peice. all three trucks were throwin over 100 psi.

and the ccs per 1000 are as follows:

baby moose- 60cc
moose- 90cc
super moose- 120cc

and if the 6.9 makes 2.2 rwhp per 1cc per 1000 rpms, is that n/a or boosted? cause that would stand to reason that with the moose cranked, it could push 198hp with no other mods...

also, what is factory hp/tq spec for an 84 6.9?

Remember, you can only make the power that your airflow will allow.

If the flow is dependent on the speed of the speed of the pump, the max flow at 3000 rpm will be vastly different than at 4000rpm. Which is why I want a little more than the "2.2hp" figure.

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our IP's have 2 (I forget the term) "bores". every one revolution of the IP will result with 2 strokes. My guess is that it's one to one considering for every 1 revolution of the crank only 2 cylinders will be firing. Should be one to one.

4 strokes, 2 strokes per revolution, the engine should fire 4 cylinders on every revolution, shouldn't it?:dunno I'm talking about the engine itself, not the pump.

Last edited:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I meant. Honesty if your trying for some
crazy numbers you might as well chose a platform that's sucedded in that area. I'm sure these bottom ends will handle 400hp fairly easily.

I agree. I mean Heath Diesel even got 500hp froma 6.2L and our motors are way more stout than those. I think 400hp could even be streetable.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
So will a baby moose decrease mpg most likely (disregarding how much I would keep my right foot in it of course).

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
The milage is dependant on how you use your foot. I will be able to give you real world Baby Moose numbers in a week or two.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what else is confusing? Its confusing as to why rigs such as Heath's that have that much fuel aren't closer to 300hp rather than 200hp. Maybe airflow? Or some other limitation?

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what else is confusing? Its confusing as to why rigs such as Heath's that have that much fuel aren't closer to 300hp rather than 200hp. Maybe airflow? Or some other limitation?

I am positive you are right on that. That's what I've always thought, I mean just look how the hp and torque drop off the face of the earth. I think with a bigger turbo and an inter cooler, they could be making a lot more hp.;Sweet When the torque drops instead of staying flat, that usually means you are running out of fuel or air.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
HP seems to be the same across the board, cummins, powerstroke, IDI's. 2.2-2.5 (at the highest) HP per 1CC of fuel, to the wheels. 90 CC's * 2.2 is roughly 198hp....