moose power?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Egt with te old pump were a max of 1050 on flat ground and 1150 pulling the mountian thats balls to the wall running 80-100 with it on the floor, i never thought about the turbo im sure it was chocking, but come to think of it when i put the turbo IP on it, it never pulled boost back it would boost hard all the way to the factory govenor and roll a ton of coal,

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Egt with te old pump were a max of 1050 on flat ground and 1150 pulling the mountian thats balls to the wall running 80-100 with it on the floor, i never thought about the turbo im sure it was chocking, but come to think of it when i put the turbo IP on it, it never pulled boost back it would boost hard all the way to the factory govenor and roll a ton of coal,

Your setup seems like it worked pretty well even with that turbo then. Lol. And a healthy pump definitely makes a world of difference. What boost were you pushing before you put the turbo IP on?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
dont you think a high pressure lift pump would cure this? run, say, a 50 psi lift pump on the frame rail in the engine compartment?

and what do yall think would happen if i just took the governor spring out? i mean, the only thing that limits how high i rev my 76 is my ear and the sound of floatin valves... hehehe.

That would advance your timing. Also running that much inlet pressure can cause the rotor to sieze up to the head...AKA your pump is screwed big time.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Your setup seems like it worked pretty well even with that turbo then. Lol. And a healthy pump definitely makes a world of difference. What boost were you pushing before you put the turbo IP on?

NON turbo IP= 21psi

Turbo IP= 28-30 psi but it was hard to tell because of the bad turbo surge and needle flutter that the gauge was doing

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NON turbo IP= 21psi

Turbo IP= 28-30 psi but it was hard to tell because of the bad turbo surge and needle flutter that the gauge was doing

Too bad you didn't have a shaft speed sensor, that would have been interesting.:rotflmao

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad you didn't have a shaft speed sensor, that would have been interesting.:rotflmao

Ya probably woulda been crazy. LOL. I still think its crazy that your EGTs weren't higher. But sometimes things just don't make sense. :dunno

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Ya probably woulda been crazy. LOL. I still think its crazy that your EGTs weren't higher. But sometimes things just don't make sense. :dunno

I know the gauge wasnt off it was brand new auto meter, i also had a ram-air and a straight short free flowing exhuast, im sure thats why they were low

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the gauge wasnt off it was brand new auto meter, i also had a ram-air and a straight short free flowing exhuast, im sure thats why they were low

I figured your EGT gauge was good. And an exhaust and good intake always help.

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what i understand also, is that the idis run high compression, so getting enough fuel to burn and not getting too hot would be difficult. And by lowering compression, it would get harder to start to the point where you wouldn't be able to start it worth a hoot. The trucks that have lower compression to start with are probably better for making more power... i think. ??

Yes you are talking really high compression in these engines. As far as I know my truck was the only one to push 21psi on stock headstuds with an ic and a lot of pump work. And it did so for about 4 seconds before my egt started to climb really quickly. And by quick I mean 900-1200 in about a second. 15 is about he limit for the stock charger before things go the wrong way.

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you are talking really high compression in these engines. As far as I know my truck was the only one to push 21psi on stock headstuds with an ic and a lot of pump work. And it did so for about 4 seconds before my egt started to climb really quickly. And by quick I mean 900-1200 in about a second. 15 is about he limit for the stock charger before things go the wrong way.

I hear a lot of people saying that we can't run more than 15psi at all without sky rocketing egts. It's not the engine, it's the turbo that can't run those pressures, especially the drive pressure that are building in the turbine. I know that's not what you are saying though.

With the powerstrokes they will do 40psi with no problems with 17.5:1 compression. 14.7+40= a pressure ratio of 3.72x17.5= a dynamic compression ratio of 65:1 (assuming 100%ve)

With our 21.5:1 compression, we can run 30 psi and have the same dynamic compression (65:1) as the powerstroke running 40psi.

Just something to think about.;Sweet

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score

I didnt have an intercooler and i ran 20psi with a non turbo pump, and 28-30 psi with a turbo pump, i had stock headbolts and new gaskets, mine held for a while with the 20psi but when i moved it to 28-30 it blew the water passege out in the gasket

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt have an intercooler and i ran 20psi with a non turbo pump, and 28-30 psi with a turbo pump, i had stock headbolts and new gaskets, mine held for a while with the 20psi but when i moved it to 28-30 it blew the water passege out in the gasket

Lol as soon as I posted that I read your post. I have posted on here in a while last time I was on you were turning rpm not boost.

And yes I know that the turbo is out of its operating range at that kind of pressure.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear a lot of people saying that we can't run more than 15psi at all without sky rocketing egts. It's not the engine, it's the turbo that can't run those pressures, especially the drive pressure that are building in the turbine. I know that's not what you are saying though.

With the powerstrokes they will do 40psi with no problems with 17.5:1 compression. 14.7+40= a pressure ratio of 3.72x17.5= a dynamic compression ratio of 65:1 (assuming 100%ve)

With our 21.5:1 compression, we can run 30 psi and have the same dynamic compression (65:1) as the powerstroke running 40psi.

Just something to think about.;Sweet

That's actually what I always wondered. I would agree that an idi would do it. I mean how often do you hear bout anything goin other than head gaskets most of the time anyway? Its pretty rare! Damn now you got me thinking. I might have to run a lil higher boost after I get some studs. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7