Mitsubishi Starter's Bad - O'Reily wont replace it

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Speaking of starters-I noticed the other day that the short cable from the starter solinoid to the starter motor has quite a bit of green corrision on it. Anybody have an "easy" cure for this that works well?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I remember at the boat store that had some spray stuff that would eat away corrosion. Was for cleaning up things after being in salt water. Don't know what it's called now but seem to remember it being in a blue can.

As for the starters. I thought the mitsu were supposed to be the good ones. I replaced my denso one back in 2003 with a mitsu one and haven't have any problems. Starter is alot quieter compared to the denso one too.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I use a Kimball Midwest product for cleaning batteries on all my stuff. It used to be even better than it is currently, Im guessing there were some new Gov rules that required changing of the formula. But it still eats corrosion away and neutralizes any particles left over.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Speaking of starters-I noticed the other day that the short cable from the starter solinoid to the starter motor has quite a bit of green corrision on it. Anybody have an "easy" cure for this that works well?

Coca Cola , It does the trick.
Baking soda and water works too. If you look at those spray on battery corosion cleaners, the contents are usually nothing more than dissolved baking soda.

Once clean, coat with conductive grease like Noalox ( rub it into the cable strands ) Keep in mind this will only clean the exposed part and the cables are probably looking like that most of the way through and are pretty well due for replacement. If you make up your own cables, saturate the ends with conductive grease before crimping the ends on and you won't have future corrosion problems

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vinegar and Baking soda is a little stronger than with water. Afterwards you can use brake cleaner to remove residue and as an additional cleaner before sealing with a grease or sealing agent.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have photo's of these two different starters? I have no idea what I have. I'm not having any problems, just wondering what is turning my motor over day in and day out.

Heath

C

cash

hesutton
I wonder did that 7.3 come out in that 1986 or did you swap moters?
Phil

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, I have no idea what I've got.LOL I doesn't look like either of those.:dunno

Heath

In that case you have one of the prehistoric direct drive starters ( Delco, I think )that don't work anywhere near as good as the gear reduction starters. When it croaks, get a Nippondenso and pop it in there and you won't believe the difference.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hesutton
I wonder did that 7.3 come out in that 1986 or did you swap moters?
Phil

No the 7.3 IDI's first year was '88. The 6.9 was dead and I replaced it with rebuilt 7.3 in my sig.

On Edit: Well I crawled under the truck to double check, and it is a gear reduction starter and it's most like the Nippondenso starter. I guess I was mistaken in my earlier post.

Heath

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online