Missing Coolant

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished up a 2400 mile trip to the tip of Baja and back.

Ran into a problem on the way down and she got a little hot, didn't hit the H line but she was steaming pretty good out the radiator cap.

Let her cool down and dumped about 2 gallons of water into her to limp her to the next town but she ended up running great for the rest of the trip.

On the way home I checked the level again and put about a gallon and a half in.

She only got hot that one time though.

I have zero heat coming from the heater and I don't see any moisture or leak anywhere.

Any ideas?? Radiator is about 4 years old, did the thermostat (not sure what brand) and hoses at that time as well. Haven't had time to dig into it yet but thats the plan this week.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add, zero coolant/oil mix on either side and no white smoke or antifreeze smell out the tail pipe.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad to know you made it home without more overheating issues. Now finding why the coolant is leaking out is the plan. Check the water pump weep hole under the bearings. Grab the fan and give it a wiggle. See if the beatings are worn or ruff. If none of that is noticed then look up at the block heater area just above the starter. Nothing leaking there look at the back seam of the heads to block. If you still can't find a leak try tightening up all the radiator hoses both ends. I have found some of my hoses leaking enough to drop the coolant level. It was just enough to burn off the hose and not actually drip on the ground... Those were tuff leaks to find...:sly