Mechanical oil temp probe?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
So i put a S-W mechanical oil temp gauge on my truck. the probe i put into the filter housing. There is a 1/2 npt plug there and so it fit perfectly. the only problem now is that the needle only moves from pegged low to 140*, the first tick on the dial. Oh and this was a 70 mile trip in 35* weather. I my location bad? How hot is the oil after the oil cooler?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
with it 35 deg out, it might not be getting any hotter than that if running empty. I rarely pay any attention to my oil temp gauge except when I'm pulling a long hill loaded heavy, but if memory serves me, the temps stays pretty low until I put a load on the thing

gatorman21218

Reaction score
so its one of those wait and see things? is there any way i could plumb it before the cooler? what about the temp of the oil pan? Ideally it should be in the hottest place possible correct?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My Isspro oil temp was installed in my pan during my first motor build. That way its always seeing the oil because its set deep in the pan. BTW it usually runs around 10 to 15 degrees above coolant temp... Untill I start pulling a grade. Then 240 to 250 is possible.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have the probe on mine welded into the bottom of the oil pan, but i had the engine out on a stand with the pan off conveniently , so it was no big deal to put it there.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
yeah im not sure if my line will reach that far. so yall think thats normal? i need to hook up my water temp gauge then i can compare them. what numbers are yall running when its cold out?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning on installing an oil temp in the pan with out removing the pan its self. The pick up screen for the oil pump is on the passenger side, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's right over the drain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Sweet, thank you. You think I'd have enough room to put it in the back of the pan facing the front?

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Could a guy T the probe into the oil feed line on the turbo?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure. I guess depends how long the probe is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I'd say about 2". It's too cold for me to want to crawl under my truck right now lol

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 1/2npt fitting, I don't think there's any oil pressure fittings that big. I think it'd be a more accurate reading out of the pan too

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have my oil temp probe T'd into my oil return line from my bypass oil filter. The probe is a good seven feet away from the engine by the time the oil flows from the turbo oil supply feed down on the bottom of the block up across my engine and through my bypass filter.

After a half hour drive my gauge reads about 170, it will go up to 180 if I'm sitting idling or doing a lot of town driving.

I did have a problem with mine when I first installed it, I bought a traditional 3/8 inch T for my routing of my fittings for other purposes of just getting the oil back where it needed to go without needing adapters for that. For the part of the "T" that the oil temp sender was going to go into, I had to by a 3/8 to 1/8 bushing as my probe was 1/8 ntp. By the time I threaded everything together, the probe wasn't actually getting a good enough "flow" over the surface to move the needle. I tried turning the T upside down so the oil would have to flow over it more since the flow out of my bypass system really isn't "pressurized" much, but didn't really help.

Instead of using the bushing adapter and keeping the probe from seeing as much oil flow over its surface, I bought a 3/8 coupling piece and drilled and tapped 1/8 threads into it so the probe stuck the whole way into it and the oil would flow better over it.

I guess my point with all of this, is the place you mounted it (as I'm not 100% sure where you mean you placed it near the oil filter) might not have a good enough flow to raise the temperature of the gauge. Could just be the gauge as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online