Maybe a new truck....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look at the block serial numbers located just to the drivers side of the injection pump gear housing. That will telll you 6.9 or 7.3 in the number. A 6.9 strats with those numbers and the 7.3 starts with those numbers in the serial number. As for the injection pump return line going back to the filter head. Thats not normal routing but it seems to work. Its an easy repair too.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the fuel filter and the fuel line return caps are 6.9 vintage. the pump to the fiter head line is incorrect and has prolly led to many drivability issues. bring two 12 pt sockets with you. one 7/16 and one 1/2. find out which one fits on the 12 pt head bolt. 7/16 is 6.9 and 1/2 is 7.3. there's no getting around that. there will be the "but what if" ******** floated about "drill and tap a 6.9 to a 7.3", I wouldn't pay any attention to it. you have to be a special kind of sick to get all those bolt holes drilled and tapped. I have yet to see it done successfully due to the hardness of the block and the number of holes involved in the drill and tap process is very intimidating.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well....went to go drive it today and his flunky that works at the shop with him ran it out of fuel so....but I did look at it and yep....7.3 with a 6.9 fuel filter housing. Also this thing has a after market tranny cooler tied in with the factory one so somebody done there homework.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy that he loaned it to tares up everything. Family so he can't let him go lol....bbut it has a 3:55 open rear end....:puke:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Was just looking at the engine pic and inlarged it. Seems someone has no idea where the throttle return spring fits. Where this engine has it will do nothing for the throttle return at all. It goes down under the fast idle solenoid where that bracket has a notch cut in it. then the double spring connects to the ball post that the cables connects to. Seems someone sure did a number on this engine during a repair or a swap.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suspicious of the run out of fuel excuse. Otherwise decent looking truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
with the fuel return looped the way it is, the truck is only going to operate for 15 mins at the most at a time. why? the return line pressure will build up to the point the fuel delivery will shut down the pump. if you don't like the seller much, throw a low ball and bring a towtruck. :D

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will see tomorrow what happens.....if not got my eye on a 92 crew cab dually for 2500 in good shape...

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was just looking at the engine pic and inlarged it. Seems someone has no idea where the throttle return spring fits. Where this engine has it will do nothing for the throttle return at all. It goes down under the fast idle solenoid where that bracket has a notch cut in it. then the double spring connects to the ball post that the cables connects to. Seems someone sure did a number on this engine during a repair or a swap.

Yeah I looked at it after you said that....good eye. It looks like a new tps also.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm kinda leaning towards the dually but I know I can get the 91 cheap....I bet I could get it for 1600 cause he's a Chevy guy and don't need it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I noticed another issue with this engine. Look at the pic and see the number one injector hard line.. Its routed wrong and it appears to not have the timing adapter on the injector nor is that line connected to the vibration damper clamps. So it runs but not correctly because of a shortened line we use for timing. I'll bet this engine times very silly too. Everything I have posted that I see wrong can easily be repaired and I'm not trying to convince you to not buy. Just telling you what I see and feel needs to be corrected. As towcat said. That injection pump return line routing is not going to run the engine very long ...
On a positive note.. I see the original air filter special rubber steel washer is in place so rain water wont leak into the intake and hydrolock the engine. We have seen postings of this happening to some very old hats in the idi game here.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Id buy it, Drive it up to the northeast and sell it for 3x that price (if I didn't keep it for myself lol)