Maxed stock pump longevity?

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I can't keep draggin my feet on buying a injection pump but my turbo 6.9 is not going to be done anytime soon. If I purchase a new stock pump from CDI to use on my NA 7.3, can I expect a long happy life if I turn it all the way up when the turbo engine is done? I didn't want to buy two pumps (stock for the NA 7.3, bull moose for the turbo 6.9) and that was the number one reason I was waiting to buy one in the first place because in my head my "cheap and fast" turbo 6.9 was supposed to be done quickly but we all know what that turned into. What does a maxed stock pump closely resemble? Moose Jr? Bull Moose? Most importantly can I get the average 100,000 miles out of the pump or will winding up a stock pump kill it quick? Thanks everyone.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been on on forums as long as I've owned my pickup(12-ish years) and I've never heard a peep about maxing the pump doing anything to shorten its life. I'm no expert, but I'm certain that I've never come across it reading the forums.

Depending on your setup a maxed stocker may be all you need until you are looking for more than 15psi, or have a very efficient turbo and charge air cooler.
I'm not familiar with Mels stuff as much as R&D's so I can't help too much. I think Mel has CC numbers for his pumps now so that wouldn't be hard to do a little math and figure out what you need. IIRC the stock pump maxed out is around 80cc's of fuel.
But others here will chime in soon with more help!