Massive new bio diesel plant...

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats great new, hopefully it will make it avalible in more areas and bring down the cost alittle.

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
they are getting ready to start building a ethanol plant the next county over :D next the need to build a bio plant and we would be set

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The only problem with bio fuels is that they are still controlled by the same guys who control the petrolium industry. It's great that we as a country can become indepentant from foreign oil, but something needs to be done here at home too IMO. Just something to think about.

Justin

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the numbers for the consumption of #2 dino vs. the country's capacity to produce reasonably price biodiesel, but I bet the consumption of #2 outstrips the capacity by 10:1. It's still a great idea to become as independent as possible, but does anyone believe we can totally ween off #2?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Full Monte said:
I don't know the numbers for the consumption of #2 dino vs. the country's capacity to produce reasonably price biodiesel, but I bet the consumption of #2 outstrips the capacity by 10:1. It's still a great idea to become as independent as possible, but does anyone believe we can totally ween off #2?
I seem to recall an article out there from a few years ago, that said that. if the oil could be cultivated efficiently enough (also that oil can be extracted from algae, and that this is the most efficient way to use the land to get oil for Bio-D), it would be possible to bring the Bio-D supply up enough to completely replace dino-diesel. That said, the article may have been wrong, or I may be remembering it wrong, but I think it can be done.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that "article" was some really rudimentary math I did in a TDS post last year.

I used numbers from the US Energy webpage, coupled with numbers from the US AG webpage, and mixed that with theoretical Algae Oil production using "imaginary" processors in the desert south to come up with a total replacement plan.

It would take all 450 million "crop acres" currently in use today just to replace the 43 BILLION gallons of taxed road diesel.

It would only take like 5 million "algae acres" to replace the entire 60 billion gallons of taxed and NON taxed diesel currently in use.

Those numbers are a tad old, and Im going off memory, so dont take that to your stock broker!!

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be unrealistic to suppose we would convert all our wheat, corn and other crops to diesel oil crops. Also, what would we do for crop rotation to keep it sustainable? I think the answer to all this "fuel shortage" problem will be a complex combination of smaller, more fuel efficient engines, lighter weight vehicles, better battery life and technology for hybrids, biodiesel and wvo use, electric cars and mass transit systems with nuclear power plants as the energy source. I see no way around substantial use of nuclear power to get us out of the energy crisis. Of course, higher prices will produce consumption/supply equilibrium for dino fuels, however painful that might be for us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70