New to diesel....trucks.

klook

Reaction score
I will pick up my "new" work truck on Thu. It is a 92 E350 with an ambulance body, used for a fire marshal division. It has just under 25,000 miles. It will be quite the shakedown cruise getting it back to Tenn. from Conn. Looking forward to learning many things here.

klook

Reaction score
Well, it was a great ride with some trials and tribulations. But none of them involved real problems with the Ambulance. Overall, it ran great. Got 15.3 mpg for over a 1000 miles with a truck that had not been driven for at least 4 years and only 2000 miles in 15 years. Changed the oil today and it had a filter(fram) that had 1/05 written on the bottom......ouch. Now on to upgrading and changing some things. I hope I don't need to touch anything major for awhile but that is why I am in this forum..

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it was a great ride with some trials and tribulations. But none of them involved real problems with the Ambulance. Overall, it ran great. Got 15.3 mpg for over a 1000 miles with a truck that had not been driven for at least 4 years and only 2000 miles in 15 years. Changed the oil today and it had a filter(fram) that had 1/05 written on the bottom......ouch. Now on to upgrading and changing some things. I hope I don't need to touch anything major for awhile but that is why I am in this forum..
Best of luck to you! These old IDIs are great, almost as good as the Oilburners community.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard...!! You will not regret hanging out with these guys...

Your fuel mileage is pretty good...and you should be good to go if that truck was kept in a garage for most of its life...

Gotta ask...did it come equipped with any cupholders..?? The subject is going to come up eventually...so...I figured I would be the first to mention it...

Since there is going to be very little your truck is going to need...you might want to consider having a fancy cupholder setup....we have a informal cupholder competition going on with @Jesus Freak making an excellent showing and others nipping at his heels...

Have you looked underneath at the back end to check out your trailer towing wiring harness....?? Sometimes they can be a little challenging...unless you have a factory trailer tow option...

Good luck to you...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard...!! You will not regret hanging out with these guys...

Your fuel mileage is pretty good...and you should be good to go if that truck was kept in a garage for most of its life...

Gotta ask...did it come equipped with any cupholders..?? The subject is going to come up eventually...so...I figured I would be the first to mention it...

Since there is going to be very little your truck is going to need...you might want to consider having a fancy cupholder setup....we have a informal cupholder competition going on with @Jesus Freak making an excellent showing and others nipping at his heels...

Have you looked underneath at the back end to check out your trailer towing wiring harness....?? Sometimes they can be a little challenging...unless you have a factory trailer tow option...

Good luck to you...
Dude! It only appears as though they're nipping at my heels......... I'VE GOT Y'ALL LAPPED!!!

klook

Reaction score
Well, that just threw down the old gauntlet didn't it? Cupholders you say? It has already been discussed with my wife, the only cupholder is behind the electronic control module for the stuff that is not needed. More to come.
I am putting a class 5 hitch on it so I will be looking for that plug. I was under it but was not looking for that yet. I am not sure the leaf springs are in good order, I have never seen 1 ton leaf springs curved down, not up. It handled and rode fine on the trip. Other then a few spots of rust down low and up top where the original cab was modified, it is in great shape. I will be flushing all the brake fluid soon, it is dark.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that just threw down the old gauntlet didn't it? Cupholders you say? It has already been discussed with my wife, the only cupholder is behind the electronic control module for the stuff that is not needed. More to come.
I am putting a class 5 hitch on it so I will be looking for that plug. I was under it but was not looking for that yet. I am not sure the leaf springs are in good order, I have never seen 1 ton leaf springs curved down, not up. It handled and rode fine on the trip. Other then a few spots of rust down low and up top where the original cab was modified, it is in great shape. I will be flushing all the brake fluid soon, it is dark.
Just remember, he said it.......I just rode on the heels of what he said...... thanks @XOLATEM . LoL. I think the leaf springs are correct, I've seen that and I'd guess it's to push the "larger passengers" up......I'm kidding, I don't know why they're like that but I think it's correct.