manual econoline parts

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a van but my current one is a 96. I've been watching for an older one ton. I love having a big cargo van but I hate automatics!!:D A One ton cargo van with a NP435 4spd would make me one happy camper!:D
That WOULD be cool :D I used to have an '84 E-350...I would have LOVED to have swapped the C6 for a ZF5, but then my uncle passed on and I inherited my truck and had to choose between the truck and the van...I love my truck and wouldn't give her up for anything (except to have my uncle back), but I still miss that van...

I've always thought that the ultimate hauler would be an E-350 cab/chassis dualie with a Cummins, 6 speed manual, and a single-cab/sleeper and flatbed :D

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That WOULD be cool :D I used to have an '84 E-350...I would have LOVED to have swapped the C6 for a ZF5, but then my uncle passed on and I inherited my truck and had to choose between the truck and the van...I love my truck and wouldn't give her up for anything (except to have my uncle back), but I still miss that van...

I've always thought that the ultimate hauler would be an E-350 cab/chassis dualie with a Cummins, 6 speed manual, and a single-cab/sleeper and flatbed :D

I would love a 84 E350! I love having a cargo van. They can haul so much and it's not out in the weather like a flatbed. I've had a few vans in the past but sold or scrapped them and now I wish I had them back. :rolleyes: I had a 91 E350 you could load that thing to the roof and still pull a loaded car trailer with it.:D The only thing I hated about it was the C6 automatic.

The ZF 5spd is a decent transmission. But it just can't match the strength and dependability of the NP435/T18/T19 4spd's. I want a NP435 and a Brownie box behind it would just be icing on the cake.;Sweet

I've already got my 91 F-Superduty so I don't really want a dually van. And I'm not much of a cummins fan.:eek::D But I've seen some of those van/sleeper/flatbed conversions and they do look cool. I bet they are sweet for hauling a 5th wheel.:thumbsup:

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
cant say that ive ever been a fan of vans...although i joked with a friend of mine that if he got one i was gunna make a sticker that said "Candy Man" and put it on it when he wasnt looking...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL What is a blue-hair?
You must be registered for see images attach

One of the first pictures I found with a Google Image Search...as I understand it, a rather common issue in Florida...

I would love a 84 E350! I love having a cargo van. They can haul so much and it's not out in the weather like a flatbed. I've had a few vans in the past but sold or scrapped them and now I wish I had them back. :rolleyes: I had a 91 E350 you could load that thing to the roof and still pull a loaded car trailer with it.:D The only thing I hated about it was the C6 automatic.

The ZF 5spd is a decent transmission. But it just can't match the strength and dependability of the NP435/T18/T19 4spd's. I want a NP435 and a Brownie box behind it would just be icing on the cake.;Sweet

I've already got my 91 F-Superduty so I don't really want a dually van. And I'm not much of a cummins fan.:eek::D But I've seen some of those van/sleeper/flatbed conversions and they do look cool. I bet they are sweet for hauling a 5th wheel.:thumbsup:
I spend enough time on the freeway that I need an OD...I actually swapped the T-19 in my truck for a ZF; IMHO it was one of the best modifications I've ever done. I plan to put a Doug Nash OD behind the ZF to get 10 forward gears and double-overdrive ;Sweet I already have the box ready to go (except for the electrical); I'm just waiting until I take my truck out of service...

My E-350 was actually a conversion van :D I bought it from the original owner, and he purchased it as a cargo van and did the conversion job himself. He didn't completely finish the job, so it looked a bit hokey...I had some ideas on how to finish it, but again, I ended up having to sell the van. With the rear (wood :shocked: ) bench seat folded down and the center captains' chairs swiveled to the side, she had a fair amount of space for "clean" cargo...

As to the Cummins, I've always admired it for its longevity. I'm not power-hungry like the stereotypical Cummins owner, but I like its million-mile reputation...and I've been wanting one since I was a kid in the mid '90's. Someday...

Attachments

• right.jpg
    right.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2
  • rightinside.jpg
    rightinside.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2
  • truckstop.jpg
    truckstop.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 4
  • cab1.jpg
    cab1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 4

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
The owners manual of my 1987 E350 motorhome says the NPG435 was an option in the one ton gas only.

I've never seen one, ever, so they must be rare as heck! Especially since it's only a 1 ton thing. The half tons had the RUG 4 speed OD, and in '88 the Mazda M5R2.

I keep bothering a friend of mine to sell me his van, hes got a 1988 E150 Custom panel van with sliding door, 300-6cyl, C6 with a Red interior, it's perfectly what i'm looking for, real basic, red interior, panel van with sliding door, I'd preffer one with a panel sliding door though, his has a window. And I want one with either the 300 straight 6, or Diesel, either one MUST have a C6, I will refuse an E4OD van!

:D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The owners manual of my 1987 E350 motorhome says the NPG435 was an option in the one ton gas only.
Oh wow!! I wonder when that was introduced?

My '84 shop manual describes two manual trannies as having been used in the vans...one's the 3 speed column-shift and the other's a 4 speed (with 4th gear being an overdrive) floor-shift, probably identical to the one you got parts for. The impression I get is that they were only used behind the 300 ci 6-cylinder and maybe the 302 in 1/2 ton applications. Very rare, in any event...I've only seen one floor-shift manual van with my own eyes.

On a similar note, I've always wondered what it was like to drive a column-shift manual...

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I've seen a couple for sale a good distance away with 4 speeds OD behind 302's. Not that I would want one with a 302.... like the worst Ford engine ever made...

My uncle has a 1980 F100 3 on the tree as a farm truck, drives great, body has seen better days, but that's what I drive on the weekends when I go out an give 'em a hand, harvesting season you know.

Only thing you gotta be careful not to be rough on it, or try to power shift it, those years Fords like to break a tube in the column, then you can't shift it anymore.

1st gear is closer to you, and down.
2nd is towards the dash, up
3rd is towards dash, down

Reverse is towards you, up

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spend enough time on the freeway that I need an OD...I actually swapped the T-19 in my truck for a ZF; IMHO it was one of the best modifications I've ever done. I plan to put a Doug Nash OD behind the ZF to get 10 forward gears and double-overdrive ;Sweet I already have the box ready to go (except for the electrical); I'm just waiting until I take my truck out of service...

My E-350 was actually a conversion van :D I bought it from the original owner, and he purchased it as a cargo van and did the conversion job himself. He didn't completely finish the job, so it looked a bit hokey...I had some ideas on how to finish it, but again, I ended up having to sell the van. With the rear (wood :shocked: ) bench seat folded down and the center captains' chairs swiveled to the side, she had a fair amount of space for "clean" cargo...

OD is great but it doesn't do you much good when the transmission fails.LOL I've owned a lot of Ford trucks and have had NP435's, T18's, T19's and ZF 5spds. I've never had a NP435/T18 or T19 fail on me. I've had them get sloppy shifters and hard to shift when synchros got worn. But never anything that wouldn't get me home. I have had ZF's fail.:rolleyes: I've got my fingers crossed that the ZF in my 91 stays together.

And my 91 is getting a brownie box when I can swing it. I need the double OD with the 5.13 gears!!LOL

Man that van you had looked clean! I'll take a cargo van like that but with the side barn door style doors instead of the slider.;Sweet

I've seen a couple for sale a good distance away with 4 speeds OD behind 302's. Not that I would want one with a 302.... like the worst Ford engine ever made...

The 302 is far from the worse engine Ford has made. But it is a better car engine then a truck engine.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OD is great but it doesn't do you much good when the transmission fails.LOL I've owned a lot of Ford trucks and have had NP435's, T18's, T19's and ZF 5spds. I've never had a NP435/T18 or T19 fail on me. I've had them get sloppy shifters and hard to shift when synchros got worn. But never anything that wouldn't get me home. I have had ZF's fail.:rolleyes: I've got my fingers crossed that the ZF in my 91 stays together.

And my 91 is getting a brownie box when I can swing it. I need the double OD with the 5.13 gears!!LOL

Man that van you had looked clean! I'll take a cargo van like that but with the side barn door style doors instead of the slider.;Sweet
:dunno My ZF has been just fine...it spent about 350K miles behind a 7.3l in an F-450 before the synchros went, and was rebuilt before being installed in my truck and hasn't given me anything even remotely resembling a problem yet. I actually did the swap in large part because the synchros on my T-19 were on their way out. I'm not trying to dispute the statement that the T-19/NP435 is as tough as nails; they're some of the strongest transmissions ever built...but I wouldn't categorize the ZF as being a piece of junk, either.

Just my $.02 :angel: and, also keep in mind that my truck's mostly a freeway cruiser/hauler...I used to take her off-road, but I finally learned that you can have a towing rig or an off-road rig...but you really can't reliably have both in the same truck. So, my truck's being built more as a towing rig, and someday I'll get an off-roader to play with :D

With double OD, 4.10 gears, and stock tires, I'm hoping I'll be able to get to 20 mpg on a regular basis...I'm already doing 17 to 18 highway mpg depending on how gentle I am with the throttle...and have broken the 20 mpg barrier a few times with the cruise set at 55 mph going down the I-5...

And, absolutely that van was clean ;Sweet ...I bought it in 2000 for $3K, and the odometer had just rolled over for the first time. I really wish I could have found a way to keep the van and the truck... BTW, I don't think I mentioned this in one of my earlier posts, but that van had a 6.9l ;Sweet doing glow plugs on the van was very simple; just unbolt the passenger's front seat, pull it back, remove the doghouse, and sit down on the floor. No getting wet (I had to do it on a rainy day) and not much getting dirty ;Sweet I don't want to think about what a pump job or a head job would have been like, though...OTOH, in about 40K miles, the glow plugs, the starter, and the battery cables were the only things that engine needed ;Sweet

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno My ZF has been just fine...it spent about 350K miles behind a 7.3l in an F-450 before the synchros went, and was rebuilt before being installed in my truck and hasn't given me anything even remotely resembling a problem yet. I actually did the swap in large part because the synchros on my T-19 were on their way out. I'm not trying to dispute the statement that the T-19/NP435 is as tough as nails; they're some of the strongest transmissions ever built...but I wouldn't categorize the ZF as being a piece of junk, either.

Just my $.02 :angel: and, also keep in mind that my truck's mostly a freeway cruiser/hauler...I used to take her off-road, but I finally learned that you can have a towing rig or an off-road rig...but you really can't reliably have both in the same truck. So, my truck's being built more as a towing rig, and someday I'll get an off-roader to play with :D

With double OD, 4.10 gears, and stock tires, I'm hoping I'll be able to get to 20 mpg on a regular basis...I'm already doing 17 to 18 highway mpg depending on how gentle I am with the throttle...and have broken the 20 mpg barrier a few times with the cruise set at 55 mph going down the I-5...

And, absolutely that van was clean ;Sweet ...I bought it in 2000 for $3K, and the odometer had just rolled over for the first time. I really wish I could have found a way to keep the van and the truck... BTW, I don't think I mentioned this in one of my earlier posts, but that van had a 6.9l ;Sweet doing glow plugs on the van was very simple; just unbolt the passenger's front seat, pull it back, remove the doghouse, and sit down on the floor. No getting wet (I had to do it on a rainy day) and not much getting dirty ;Sweet I don't want to think about what a pump job or a head job would have been like, though...OTOH, in about 40K miles, the glow plugs, the starter, and the battery cables were the only things that engine needed ;Sweet

I don't think the ZF is junk. They just aren't my favorite.:D Like I said I've had my issues with them in the past. If and when I have any issues with the one in my 91 it's getting yanked in favor of a T19. I'll just have to double up the Brownie boxes or take my chances with a AA ranger OD unit.LOL I just prefer to run stuff I can trust. That's also why I prefer NP205 transfer cases in my 4x4's!:D

I don't off road my stuff ( Unless a vehicle I buy is parked in a field ) . But I am ******* my vehicles. I drive them like I stole them ( when empty ) and I haul scrap metal and buy and haul a lot of vehicles. So the small loads I haul are usually around 5,000-6,000 pounds and the heavy loads are anywhere from 10,000-14,000 pounds. Not huge loads but big loads for my old F250's.LOL

With my F-Superduty I just want to be able to drive it faster then 60mph on the highway without it sounding like the world is coming to an end.:rotflmao That's why I need the second OD with it. A little better fuel mileage would just be an added bonus.:D

I've never had a diesel van. But I would love one! Until like you mentioned I needed to replace the IP!LOL

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
1st gear is closer to you, and down.
2nd is punch the windshield
3rd is towards dash, down

fixed it for ya :rotflmao:rotflmao

i had a 66 bronco with a 3 on the column. it was fun until the shift rails decide to bind between 2nd and 3rd in the middle of a busy intersection....

laying under your vehicle in traffic to un-jam it isnt much fun either

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
friend of mine has a mid 90s e250 with a 351 he swapped a ZF 5 speed into...also its a quigly 4wd conversion with 33s on it...i odnt like vans but its such a sweet parts ahuler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online